The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oi....rat farts. How something so small and cute can make such an odor....just like babies I suppose.

Question on coloring: One of my rat kids is white, well was white...but is getting some color..beige or fawn I dunno.

Y is she just getting some color now?
Is she a late bloomer? or do fawn/beige rat's start off white and gain their color over time?

*Rebel_Angel* said:
Question on coloring: One of my rat kids is white, well was white...but is getting some color..beige or fawn I dunno.

Y is she just getting some color now?
Is she a late bloomer? or do fawn/beige rat's start off white and gain their color over time?

How old is your rat and do you have a pic for us to see? Beige rats start off beige. But siamese rats will get their smudge later.

Sorry for the late reply!

She is about 4 to 5 weeks, the pic's will have to wait till later tonight for I am currently at work...

The color is showing up as a hooded rat, the darkest spots are on her shoulder's, she's too cute...and she is getting a splotch on her butt too that one didn't come out yet..but if u look closely and in the right light u can see the outline's of it.

Just might also be cause she's young, but Jade had her color at that age.

*Rebel_Angel* said:
Sorry for the late reply!

She is about 4 to 5 weeks, the pic's will have to wait till later tonight for I am currently at work...

The color is showing up as a hooded rat, the darkest spots are on her shoulder's, she's too cute...and she is getting a splotch on her butt too that one didn't come out yet..but if u look closely and in the right light u can see the outline's of it.

Just might also be cause she's young, but Jade had her color at that age.

Some smeezis start as hooded rats, then develop their butt shadngs and their points later on as they lose colour and lighten up. Definitely looks for butt shading.

HeraprotectingherHonifeb29.jpg

they also can have these funny little darker caps on them as well

HeraandHoni2feb28.jpg

O wow cool!
Leya look's a bit different then them in the pic's, I'll just call her my special rat...still beautiful tho..I love all my girls!

At what age do rats get their color?
Do they all start off white?

*Rebel_Angel* said:
O wow cool!
Leya look's a bit different then them in the pic's, I'll just call her my special rat...still beautiful tho..I love all my girls!

At what age do rats get their color?
Do they all start off white?

Himilayans start off PEW and develop their points, siamese start off darker and lighten up. Siamese also have ruby eyes compared to the Himi's pink.

This is a great thread! But of course the first posts I had to see when I clicked were about rat farts! :laugh4:

Well since this thread is here, I'm going to ask a question I've been really curious about....

Over a month ago, I took in two 3-4 week old double rex babies who had been abandoned without their mother, and they were really tiny when I got them but are growing SO fast!
Anyway, now that they're getting bigger, they seem to have what looks like Siamese/Himi points on their noses. Here's a photo:

IMG_1899.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen points on a double rex before, and I've been wondering if that's a common thing for double rex's or not? Either way, it's so beautiful! Not a big deal, but I've been curious how often other ratty people have seen it.

If there´s a difference in bruxxing/boggling when they are sick/in pain and when they are happy.. Does anyone have videos of both so I can see the difference? If it is visible..

MissGuardian said:
If there´s a difference in bruxxing/boggling when they are sick/in pain and when they are happy.. Does anyone have videos of both so I can see the difference? If it is visible..

dont know where to find a video sorry but i can tell you that bruxxing in pain, they will look a bit agitated and frantic, and the noise is often very grating and intense-

with pleasure bruxxing, it's softer and slower and calmer.

I don't think rats boggle when they are in pain, but I could be wrong. I always thought boggling was a sign of being very very relaxed, and they wouldn't be relaxed at all when in pain........?
hopefully someone else knows more about that

is someone doing this now?

Petunia said:
MissGuardian said:

dont know where to find a video sorry but i can tell you that bruxxing in pain, they will look a bit agitated and frantic, and the noise is often very grating and intense-

with pleasure bruxxing, it's softer and slower and calmer.

I don't think rats boggle when they are in pain, but I could be wrong. I always thought boggling was a sign of being very very relaxed, and they wouldn't be relaxed at all when in pain........?
hopefully someone else knows more about that

is someone doing this now?
I don´t know if they are boggling either.
No they aren´t.. I just want to know to easier pick up on things..
They all makes weird sounds from time to time, but the vet can´t find anything wrong(been to different vets several times - all specialized in rodents), so I just want to be prepared in case something does make them sick.. And I´m just a paranoid rat mom, since it´s an hour to the vets and E vets charge 400$ just to get you an appointment :shock: Just started thinking about it since Stefan is getting close to two years and his brother died of cancer..

ETA: I don´t really think it´s an URI, since Stefan was on baytril for 40 days without it making any difference what so ever to it, and they´ve had it for 6ish monts(possibly more) without it getting any worse.. they don´t show any other symptoms of discomfort either.

In all my experience, I've never seen a rat boggle when in pain or scared.
But the bruxxing, is hard to tell. I've had some at the end of their lifespan, brux very gently. Or those who zone out due to pain will also brux gently. But generally, you can tell when it's discomfort. And if you can't you keep an eye on that particular rat all day long to see how he/she is acting.

I had one rat that boggled quite a bit when she got pneumonia and the vet did say it was a sign of pain so I think it can be a sign of pain/discomfort. (She certainly wasn't happy.) I'm not sure if there's a difference between happy and unhappy boggling, it's more of a question of how much they are boggling and when.

What does it mean when rat's have eye boogies? I just think its normal, like we get eye boogies all the time...but a work colleague of mine thinks that it may be the start of an eye infection.

My poor Aili girl is getting them, I first noticed it last week and I thought that she'll shake it loose...then another time after work as I came down to check on them she was squinting at me with her right eye (but I woke her up then...so it may explain it and she had boogies in both her eyes so I just tweezed them off...silly rat started to boggle as I was trying to take off her boogies).
And now she has some again, they are outlined in red...(went to take a pic but she took it off).

It is normal for a rat to have some eye discharge, as you mentioned like we get them. When it gets abnormal is when there is an overproduction (like when we are sick and overproduce mucous in our nose), or when your rat doesn't bother trying to clean it, as sick rats don't keep up with their hygiene as well. Note that you can still sometimes see the red porphyrin on healthy rats despite grooming, it stains light fur and can be difficult to clean. I think it is fairly easy to tell the difference, however.

Back