The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but you gave me a giggle so that helped! I just needed a giggle moment so i had to post it LOL

hopefloats said:
How do I get my teen to stop driving me mad?

yeah I know it is a rat forum, but worth a shot! LOL

LOL...with mine, I just throw money at them when I have it, then, lock the door real fast. lol

Hey, I just had a question..

Has anyone ever had to deal with a rat that has no Depth Perception?

I'm pretty sure Deno can't distinguish heights as he has fallen off the coffee table twice.
He basically just walked off of it as if the floor was right under his feet.

Would it be dangerous to have him live in a cage with a shelf? He lives in a big rabbit cage right now and has never climbed bars... and wont even climb into his hammock.. which is actually only a few inches off the ground.
The shelf in my rats' cage is already pretty low since they are aging... but I think I will put it even lower for when Deno moves in with my rats.

I have a pew girl, i would open the door to the cage when we first got her and she would walk right out of the cage. She hit the floor once, now I block the cage door when i open it and I see either of my pews there.

I never had a problem with them in the cage though. I tend to keep the ramp in the same place and the hammocks in the same place as far as hanging. I change them out but rarely move the spots they go.

The problem seems to happen during out time. Tonight I had the girls on the table, and my little non-look where she walks, flopped on the floor. I just keep stuff away from the table that the think they can jump on, but my pew girls never try to jump, they only fall. :)

give him a shelf, but put a hammock underneath it, I sometimes have extra hammocks to catch the falls for them.

I would watch him on a flat surface to make sure he doesn't have something else happening. He had the nose bleeds right?

hopefloats said:
I have a pew girl, i would open the door to the cage when we first got her and she would walk right out of the cage. She hit the floor once, now I block the cage door when i open it and I see either of my pews there.

I never had a problem with them in the cage though. I tend to keep the ramp in the same place and the hammocks in the same place as far as hanging. I change them out but rarely move the spots they go.

The problem seems to happen during out time. Tonight I had the girls on the table, and my little non-look where she walks, flopped on the floor. I just keep stuff away from the table that the think they can jump on, but my pew girls never try to jump, they only fall. :)

give him a shelf, but put a hammock underneath it, I sometimes have extra hammocks to catch the falls for them.

I would watch him on a flat surface to make sure he doesn't have something else happening. He had the nose bleeds right?

Yeah.. Smokey jumps down of wherever he is when we're not looking.. and then it's the joy of finding a rat in the apartment.. haha..

But yeah, Deno definitely falls...
Has one of your girls ever gotten injured from falling?
And I don't think I could fit a hammock under the shelf to catch his fall so I hope the fleece will give him a comfy cushion to fall on.

Does it ever stop your girls from climbing up high in the cage? Because I'm scared Deno won't have the guts to climb up to the highest hammocks (if he ever decides to use one) in my cage and if he does, I hope he doesn't fall. :/

And yes, he is the one who had nose bleeds.

My two pews, don't climb on much. On occasion they do. You can tell how they walk, they are more secure on the ground than going up high. My other beige hooded pink eyed girl, climbs constantly but you can tell she dont have the best eyesight. The problem with her is climbing up is ok, she freezes when she get there :) I have been lucky as far as falls, only minor sprains, a few injured prides but falls can cause major problems and be deadly. Generally it is from a higher height though. I avoid falls at all cost. He will be one you will have to watch on tables and so on.

As far as in the cage, a box or anything would help. Scarves, the wide ones, help too. You can take it the length of the cage and add like a little walk place and it can catch them if you cannot fit a hammock. Generally you can find them this time of year at any dollar store.

is there a ramp going to the shelf? do you have a picture of his cage? Most of my rats use ramps only. My hyper young boys try to climb bars but i never see my older ones doing it.

hopefloats said:
My two pews, don't climb on much. On occasion they do. You can tell how they walk, they are more secure on the ground than going up high. My other beige hooded pink eyed girl, climbs constantly but you can tell she dont have the best eyesight. The problem with her is climbing up is ok, she freezes when she get there :) I have been lucky as far as falls, only minor sprains, a few injured prides but falls can cause major problems and be deadly. Generally it is from a higher height though. I avoid falls at all cost. He will be one you will have to watch on tables and so on.

As far as in the cage, a box or anything would help. Scarves, the wide ones, help too. You can take it the length of the cage and add like a little walk place and it can catch them if you cannot fit a hammock. Generally you can find them this time of year at any dollar store.

is there a ramp going to the shelf? do you have a picture of his cage? Most of my rats use ramps only. My hyper young boys try to climb bars but i never see my older ones doing it.

Earlier, after posting, I put him back on the living room table and surrounded it with big blankets on the floor to see what he really does.
This time, he actually seemed to notice the height difference... he would look down and actually try to jump. (instead of just walking off)
I'm thinking that maybe the fact that the floor and the table are both light colored wood confused him a little?
Or maybe he just learned his lesson... haha

Yes, there is a ramp.
Here is a picture of the cage he will be moving in, with the shelves being much lower than in the picture now (it didn't come with my cage, and that was the only spot where I could get it to fit, but now I got it to fit stable lower down):
Ratsintheplaypen003.jpg

He might get used to the layout of the cage and no longer fall. You could try it out and watch him. If he falls to much then have him back in a cage with no shelf.

My girls never learn so he will be one you will have to watch closely when he is out. Do what jo said you can always use hammocks as shelves too.

Quick question:
I finally found a sitter for the girls during the holidays (my neighbor), he hasn't come over to meet them yet ( I still need to confirm the days we will be away .. an once I do that I will make him come over to show him what needs to be done).

My only concern is what if he get's bitten since he need's to put his hands in the cage to feed and water them..I maybe have two or three with a temper, I got nipped by them too...Isy actually drew blood but I'm still alive *lol*

I just really don't want him suing me for rat bites..
What could I do to prevent this... or is it a lost cause and I should just hope for the best!

------------------------------------

And before leaving I will give Kaina a blanket or an old shirt of mine, she has severe separation anxiety but is not violent.

*Rebel_Angel* said:
Quick question:
I finally found a sitter for the girls during the holidays (my neighbor), he hasn't come over to meet them yet ( I still need to confirm the days we will be away .. an once I do that I will make him come over to show him what needs to be done).

My only concern is what if he get's bitten since he need's to put his hands in the cage to feed and water them..I maybe have two or three with a temper, I got nipped by them too...Isy actually drew blood but I'm still alive *lol*

I just really don't want him suing me for rat bites..
What could I do to prevent this... or is it a lost cause and I should just hope for the best!

------------------------------------

And before leaving I will give Kaina a blanket or an old shirt of mine, she has severe separation anxiety but is not violent.
Oh boy. That's a tough one. Does he know there's the possibility of that? Is he ok or familiar with rats? You will have to show him how to distract the rats so he can go in and give them food and fresh water.

jorats said:
Oh boy. That's a tough one. Does he know there's the possibility of that? Is he ok or familiar with rats? You will have to show him how to distract the rats so he can go in and give them food and fresh water.

How do u do that... distract them to be able to go in and feed them...

*Rebel_Angel* said:
jorats said:

How do u do that... distract them to be able to go in and feed them...

What I used to do is either put a towel over them, or offer them treats, big enough so they are distracted for a while or if they were in say an igloo, I would turn the igloo around to block off the entrance so they couldn't lunge towards my hand.

O ok!
Im getting the 33lb bag of harlan 2014 for over the holidays (the kids gobble it down like there is no tomorrow the oldies seemed to have slowed down with their food), I will pack the food bowls full before leaving they should be fine for three some days...its just the water he will have to fill back up (they do have sippy bottle's but seem to prefer the bowl's).

I will warn him about the bite's, better safe then sorry!

If your cage is two levels I would make them go on the level where I'm not working (with treats) and block the ramp until I was done.

i usually do the distract and fill. I toss food on one side of the cage, good stuff lol then i fill the bowl.

Back