Possibly pregnant young rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day four for the babies, sadly we lost one today, I don't know exactly why because he looked like one of the plump healthy ones. I am very worried about the runt, he is half the size of the others and his stomach looks empty and withered, but he is still moving. Hopefully he will get nursed, I tried to move him to the top of the baby pile but mama does not want to nurse right now it seems. :( The others all seems to be doing well, just one noticeable runt.

Day four for the babies, sadly we lost one today, I don't know exactly why because he looked like one of the plump healthy ones. I am very worried about the runt, he is half the size of the others and his stomach looks empty and withered, but he is still moving. Hopefully he will get nursed, I tried to move him to the top of the baby pile but mama does not want to nurse right now it seems. :( The others all seems to be doing well, just one noticeable runt.

When they are small but are getting fed they often catch up, but if he's withering and got that empty belly, do not hold out a lot of hope :(

Thank you lilspaz68, he did pass away just a bit ago, even though he got milked a little in the end I think he had become too weak, the other 10 remaining are doing well so hopefully there will be more milk to go around and keep everyone well fed.

The babies about a week old now! There is one more runt we named Runty, she is holding on but I am worried about her, she is half the size of the others. I hope she makes it. :(

13802359065_d3c45f0c3a_z.jpg

13802381993_531edf4a2d_z.jpg

She's beautiful. Is she active, nice full milk belly, just as strong as the others so just miniaturized or is she thinner and frailer?

These babies were from the same litter, a very young mom not treated well (we got her and her babies from a herper). The littlest one grew up tiny but healthy but she did pass at about 5 months of age (unknown causes), the male beside her grew up fine although a little small all his life.

5dayoldbabies.jpg~original

Altheablackruntgirlmay28.jpg~original

The babies about a week old now! There is one more runt we named Runty, she is holding on but I am worried about her, she is half the size of the others. I hope she makes it. :(

13802359065_d3c45f0c3a_z.jpg

13802381993_531edf4a2d_z.jpg

Thank you lilspaz, yesterday she was but today she seems to be getting weaker and I just checked her now and she was very cold but still moving, I tried taking out some of the babies to give her a chance at getting milk but it didn't work, I think she might not make it, her stomach had some milk yesterday but now it is looking empty. :( Your photos gave me some hope though, I won't give up on her just yet. :)

Thank you lilspaz, yesterday she was but today she seems to be getting weaker and I just checked her now and she was very cold but still moving, I tried taking out some of the babies to give her a chance at getting milk but it didn't work, I think she might not make it, her stomach had some milk yesterday but now it is looking empty. :( Your photos gave me some hope though, I won't give up on her just yet. :)

Aww its sounding like there's something wrong with her, but if she's meant to go, she'll just fade and stop...

I decided to go and get some baby kitten formula and try bottle feeding her, I just got through feeding her and she ate really well, so I am hoping it will help her pull through. It may just be that she is meant to go but I could not help trying just in case. She was warmer when I got back from the pet shop so I am hoping maybe she got some mama milk too.

Well, if you supplement her feelings and she still passes, then you know you did everything you could. And if she makes it after all, even better! Good luck little one!

Poor runty died this afternoon. I don't know what happened because this morning she was full of energy and nursed
from her mother a bit. She took to the bottle-feeding really well and I helped her go to the bathroom after too, so I was hoping she would make it. I suppose she was just weak. I will miss her, I was really looking forward to seeing her grow up. :(
13852924235_dca1710e4c_z.jpg

The others are doing well, they are starting to develop very thin little bits of fur on their backs too.

I'm sorry your little one didn't make it. There was obviously something wrong with her that you couldn't help her with.
RIP little baby, join your siblings at the Bridge. :angel:

Thanks everyone. <3 The babies are doing well still, they are getting nice and fuzzy, and I have seen them grooming themselves! Mama is hairless but I wonder if they will be furry because they don't look too much like her yet.

13890926956_91a1dc3d8e_z.jpg

Back