Orphaned Starling (nestling stage) found

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cityratt said:
Godmother said:
That's amazing that he is already testing out his wings! You are now an official birdy mama!!

Now all you have to do is build a starling shaped plane and teach him to fly.

Then we can make a movie out of it

Seriously though, im so glad this little guy found his way to you! :cuddle:

A Starling shaped plane???? WOW CITYRATT!!!!! Did you see "Fly away home"??????????????????????????????????????????????

LOL. That's one of my favourite movies, and I cry every single time I see it. I've raised ducklings before...the beginning scene hits home pretty hard!

Yesterday he was getting really good at flying from my hand, to my arm, to my head, back down to my shoulder, and of course on the camera. He's getting his balance down pretty well, though his aim is still a tiny bit clumsy, it's a huge improvement.

I took my little baby to Erin this morning, only a half hour drive but it felt excrutiatingly long and drawn out. I was so worried about him imprinting to me, I sort of forgot about my own bond after a few days. It was brutal losing my duckling, this was a little easier, knowing the next chapter would be that one step closer to the freedom that was his birth right.

Erin (who lives in Erin!) is a wonderful person and I was relieved to be shown where he would stay and how she would care for him. She has a pet crow indoors. :D Anyway, her backyard was massive, and there were so many bird feeders that were actually her neighbours but they stood between the two properties. There were a few hutches for a dove she found (domestic) and two kestrels. I've never seen one up close. One was an adult female that was missing half a wing so she kept her, and apparently this bird nurses other baby birds that come to her. Erin usually rehabilitates birds of prey but does occasionally take on birds like my own. He was put in a bird cage with perches, which I know he'll like since he's rejected the nest and only perches.

Anyway, she told me he looked great. Healthy feathers, bright eyes, good weight, etc. She's basically going to continue what I did, only he'll live outdoors (thus not imprint) and has some special avian vitamins added to his mush. When he grows more confident with his flight she'll move him in with the dove. She was saying, in response to my concern he'll trust humans too much, that starlings "wild out" easily so with luck, he may be okay out there.

She promised to update me frequently, and she wasn't kidding. I got home a few hours ago and I already have a photo from her. :) She must have taken this right after I left.

6pcf92.jpg

I have a ton of him to post, it's just all on the camera still. ;)

So, I'm really upset of course, but am consoling myself knowing he's that much closer to being wild and independent.

Hang in there Bron,

Deep in your heart you know that the bird baby was never intended, for this world, as a pet. He will flourish much more in the wild!

You did such a fabulous job with the Starling Sweetie!!! You have to try taking comfort in the fact that you saw him through the most dangerous phase of his life and you did it beautifully!

The experience you have won in nurturing a wild bird will, no doubt, be of use in the future. It takes a great deal of talent and insight to accomplish what you did and you have had the lucky break to be close enough to someone who actually specializes in preparing birds for their release back into the wild.

I can imagine that that little smiley face has left a huge hole but he has such awesome prospects for his feathered future!!!

You had everything to do with where he is now and that, in itself, is everything in the world for you to find joy in. Stay in touch with Erin and monitor his growth. It will help your lovely soul heal. :love6:

I wish I had half the talent and gumption you have in dealing with wildlife. :heart: Make sure that Erin provides you with a picture of him before his eventual release. That way you will know what to look for when a Starling flies over your house!
Is that him????? Was that my little dude????? Look how strong and graceful he is!!! That must be my guy!!!

Trust me Bron, it doesn't suck to be you. :hugs:

:grouphug: You are all so sweet. :heart:

She also sent this just now:
He /she is eating like crazy and even had a bath and was preening....He is
not sure of my voice yet, but has spent the day outside in the shade hopping
back and forth in his new home.....he loves the branches and is getting used
to hanging on...

Thanks again and I will keep you informed on his progress every week.

I'll be sure to post what she sends here. Meanwhile I have a few hundred photos to sort through! :cheeky: Thank you, everyone, for your continued support. It sure has been an amazing experience. She suggested I get myself licensed but perhaps at a time of my life when I am not a student with shaky circumstances, lol. That came after I told her about incubating the duck eggs with no incubator for two weeks. Anyone who's incubated eggs at all will know what that would be like. Eep! But in the end, so worth it, just like it was here. I'll be very much enjoying sleeping in tomorrow. :D

This is a wonderful story... just beautiful and lovely. I'm so happy he/she's well and off to a wonderful start.

Erin never updated me. :/ But I did some poking and prodding and just found out that he's found two friends, two starlings about his age in the backyard area and he no longer takes food from her. :D The only problem is he likes to "buzz the dog."

Here are three I just uploaded. Unfortunately not the best of the few hundred I took. :p

Sitting pretty...
jv5apy.jpg

Steady now...
5l8bw5.jpg

FIRST TAKE OFF EVAR.
2r4isdt.jpg

OMG! I AM AWESOME.
2w53sio.jpg

LOL Tara! It wasn't too difficult, I had wonderful sources of help and support and my job allowed me to take him to work since I work at a vet clinic. :D And I guess I needed to fix my sleeping hours anyway. ;) Though...I don't miss 5 am.

He's definitely a punk, haha. Erin promised to "try" and take a photo of him as she doesn't know which one he is. I'd guess the one that's mildly tame or the one swooping at her dog but perhaps her life suddenly got super busy. I am thrilled to know he's wilding out really well. :D

Sorting through all the photos is kinda fun! Though those were key, his first flight...annnd crash landing. ;)

He's really lucky to have found you! :D With all the horrible things going on in the world today, it's always wonderful to read about people who really do care! You've done a great job! :salut:

Thank you so much, Kevin! That's really kind of you to say so. :) It would be so rewarding to get licensed and do this sort of thing all the time.

Back