Orphaned Starling (nestling stage) found

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called both Christina and Linda but both weren't home. Those were awkward messages, haha. Here's hoping someone gets back to me soon...my sister is notoriously on the phone for hours at a time and is itching to get back on it. :(

Thank you for the contacts! :D

Christina called! Yay for talking to a human being and not a machine! She seemed to be with me on the SPCA and TWC standpoint...you just don't know when they're lying to you in terms of whether they raise it or euthanize it. She said she has too many birds right now but she knows other people who may be able to in the city. So she's going to get back to me tomorrow and I'm to keep doing what I'm doing. :D

It seems he has hope for a better home. The call tore at my heartstrings a bit, the thought of losing him, even though it is the best thing for him. He's so alert, flapping his little wings around, watching me walk around... *sigh* I'm also nervous about not having control over it so much anymore. Like someone could pick him up tomorrow for all I know.

It's silly, I know.
I'll post updated photos soon. :)

Friday:

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

rat.charmer said:
Maybe somebody at the Wild at Heart Refuge Centre can help you? http://wahrefugecentre.org/

They just replied to my email. For the record, I told them how old I thought it was based on comparison shots on the web as a key detail and was looking for advice on how to care for it. Here's what I got:

"The only place I know is the TWC .... perhaps it it can now fly & could be
released near the site you found it
Rod Jouppi"

Um. They can't start flying until 3 weeks old. :roll: I'm rapidly losing faith in established wildlife centres.

SQ said:
Glad the little guy is doing ok. :thumbup:
Hope you are able to get the help you need.

Just pmed you Linda Johns' phone number.
Please call her.

Linda Johns and I have been playing telephone tag! We finally caught each other though, and she's the best person I've talked to so far, hands down. Most people I've been calling were pretty grumpy to be bothered with a starling and wouldn't help, but she was very caring and said I've been doing a good job with him. She suggested I add mealworms to his diet, as we were talking worst case scenario, ie. I don't find anyone, and she was preparing me to raise for release. Quite honestly I think I'd be the worst candidate for that seeing as staying inside is the worst thing for my health right now and I've never done that before.

I'm quickly running out of options but am still waiting for a few messages to be returned. I've now exhausted Toronto and have reached out to the Kitchener/Waterloo area but still haven't spoken to anyone who has room or was interested in helping.

GREAT NEWS!

After four days of having the phone pressed to my ear, names leading to other names, all the inns are full, spoken to vets, various rehabbers (including Holly's referral to Linda in Nova Scotia), I FOUND SOMEONE.

She was literally the last name on my list (it's a funny list, people who list other people, mapping out in all different directions to make room on the page).

She sounds like such a nice person, and lives really close to Orangeville which is only about 15 minutes from my farm. She raises the starlings and releases them, which is exactly what I want for him. Wild animals should be wild. She was really sweet too, agreeing with the others that I'm doing all I should be doing (thank you internet!), and said he would be just fine in my hands but would happily take him for me. So I think the next trip to the farm is Wednesday or Thursday, not quite sure, but I am SO HAPPYYY! I was trying not to cry into the phone when she said she could take him, with that bright and cheery voice. I just did not expect to ever hear those words.

Everything will be okay for him now. :D And the great part is I have time to adjust to this, and a little more time to have this amazing experience of raising him. I also trust her, which is strange to say but some people I really had weird feelings about. Thank you to ALL who helped with advice or numbers or words of encouragement. :heart:

Bronwyn said:
GREAT NEWS!

After four days of having the phone pressed to my ear, names leading to other names, all the inns are full, spoken to vets, various rehabbers (including Holly's referral to Linda in Nova Scotia), I FOUND SOMEONE.

She was literally the last name on my list (it's a funny list, people who list other people, mapping out in all different directions to make room on the page).

She sounds like such a nice person, and lives really close to Orangeville which is only about 15 minutes from my farm. She raises the starlings and releases them, which is exactly what I want for him. Wild animals should be wild. She was really sweet too, agreeing with the others that I'm doing all I should be doing (thank you internet!), and said he would be just fine in my hands but would happily take him for me. So I think the next trip to the farm is Wednesday or Thursday, not quite sure, but I am SO HAPPYYY! I was trying not to cry into the phone when she said she could take him, with that bright and cheery voice. I just did not expect to ever hear those words.

Everything will be okay for him now. :D And the great part is I have time to adjust to this, and a little more time to have this amazing experience of raising him. I also trust her, which is strange to say but some people I really had weird feelings about. Thank you to ALL who helped with advice or numbers or words of encouragement. :heart:

GREAT NEWS Bron!!!!!!!!!!!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to you for holding your ground while under pressure from your friends. Unless people have a real weakness for animal wellfare, they will never understand the dedication to foundlings. I would have done exactly what you did Bron.... and I would have had even LESS knowledge than you!!! I would have cried and fevered over the little thing and would not have had any rest at all.

I deal with people who don't understand my love for small creatures on a regular basis. They piss me off because they refuse to venture out of their pathetic, little, boxes to see that every life form matters and deserves a chance. Fortunately, there are also those who fully understand my soft spot. Thank God for the Rat Shack, where I know I can go to get emotional support for my desperate attempts to save my little four footers (or four feathers... :wink: !) These are the people who help keep me sane.

I can't tell you how lovely I think you are Bron. Not only do you look gorgeous.... you are gorgeous. You have the kind of soul which will keep you beautiful, even when you are 98. There is nothing more rewarding than to help a little face into the next chapter of it's life. Despite the grief we suffer when we are not successful, it is a risk that is so much worth taking. I would never want to be other than I am and I am proud of the sacrifices I have made to support any animal who has needed my help. I am a sucker for the little waifs.

I'm proud to be in touch with people like you Bron. I take pride in telling family, friends and colleagues that I belong to the Rat Shack. Don't ever change the way you are Bron. If you are anything like me, you would have spent your weekend suffering and worrying about the little feather face, and would not have enjoyed your boyfriend's company as much as you both deserve.

KUDOS to you Sweetie!!!! You have done a magificent job!!!! The next time you see a Starling in the sky, you will be able to wonder if that is your baby! Fly high little bird!!!! Take it over the rainbow and remember to plant Bronwyn's flag in a cloud as you pass!

What a glorious life! Gotta love you Bron. You are beautiful and selfless. :love6:

Jeepers, Jen, you made me cry there! :heart:

The tears were plenty and the rest was rare, but it's been so worth it. I actually copy/pasted that into Word so I could read it again, it really, really touched me and I thank you so much for those extremely kind words. I was/am rather speechless. You, yourself, are also beautiful in every way (I can only assume your soul matches your exterior and makes you shine) not only in your love for animals but your wonderful kindness to everyone on this forum. I can't say I personally know anyone who can stay as positive as you have in every situation and that is a true gift. I do hope you know how much you are appreciated with your magic way of uplifting a person. : D You're one of those people that anyone would be truly blessed to have in their lives.

I was just thinking, to be completely random, this little guy may need a name. Something gender neutral as I haven't the faintest idea how to sex a starling. He/she's sleeping now (bedtime's 11 pm!), but I can't wait to pick him up tomorrow morning (screeching begins around 7 am) and show you all the development in the past day. His feathers are starting to come through!

Jackie! Gender neutral. Leslie? Ashley :D All can go either way.

I'm glad that you've found somewhere wonderful to take him. Although I have no doubt that you would have been able to take care of him yourself wonderfully, I in no way blame you for finding someone more experienced.

Yeah raise to release is something I think a person needs experience with in order to ensure all bases have been covered to make sure it's the safest time and state to release. If I were keeping him as a pet that would be another story and at this point would feel comfortable in doing so, but I just have a thing about wild animals belonging in the wild. Particularly birds who own the sky...a cage isn't for them. : / (not judging those who keep birds, just that this one was born wild!)

I took these about an hour ago. :)

2621494510_ef5e716b8d.jpg

2621511876_ee29a71def.jpg

He was really upset that he fell out of his "nest" in the night so woke me up super early, crying. They really need to be in a cup-like container.

Wow, that is amazing!! :joy: She/he looks like a different bird from the bedraggled half-naked creature you rescued such a short time ago.

You have done a wonderful job, never giving up no matter how bleak the prospects seemed.... and you succeeded.

This is where technology is really a great help :coffee: ... the the Forum, the rehab sites, SQ's great sleuthing to find you Linda John's number (there is a woman I'd love to meet... y'all have to read her books), the increased speed of finding others in the bird rehab network.

I am pretty sure that Linda Johns named one of her starlings Starr. That would be a great name for your little sweetie.

I'm so happy that you have found him a great place to finish growing up and preparing for release. He/she will have buddies (probably almost as important for a baby bird of a species that lives in flocks as for a rat).

Congrats on a job so well done. :thumbup: :joy:

:heart: I can't take all the credit, he's the one who lived under my care! :giggle: But yes! I see tufts of real feathers coming out! :D

Yes, the internet is amazing sometimes. It was through there I found out how to feed/hydrate him before I could get in touch with any human being. Linda Johns was really fantastic, I loved talking with her. She knew her stuff, and was quite a gentle, kind soul. Due to my extensive research before speaking with her there wasn't much she could teach me, but she was a wonderful support and it's great knowing that if I have a problem there's someone I can call who would know what to do. I wish she were in Ontario, it sounds like she has a true haven for birds being raised to be returned to the wild. She said she has a protected backyard area with one of her starlings who could not be released due to injury (shattered wing and leg) and has been with her for what I think she said was nine years. This bird apparently is an ambassador for the other wild birds learning their way. :) She truly stood out against all the grumps I spoke with.

The winning trail started at a vet clinic, which led me to a woman in Rockwood, who led me to a woman in Waterloo, who gave me the name of the woman who's taking him in. :D

You're very right! It's really important for a little bird to live among a flock so they learn how to survive. And I'm sure you've all seen starlings in flocks. My plan originally, thinking I wouldn't find anyone, was to release at my farm which according to Linda would have worked really well because there are about seven active nests in our barn walls right now, so he wouldn't be the only youngster in the learning stage. And of course, it's away from people. She told me a few horror stories about starlings being brought in with strings tied to their legs and so on. :( I'm happy this guy still fears me a little bit. That's his best weapon.

Oo, I like the name Starr! And it would be nice to somehow honour some of the help he and I received in this urgent period. I'll think on it a little more! :D Usually I don't give names too much thought but this one feels special. It's just gotta fit. :D

:grouphug:

Linda Johns was really fantastic, I loved talking with her. She knew her stuff, and was quite a gentle, kind soul. Due to my extensive research before speaking with her there wasn't much she could teach me, but she was a wonderful support and it's great knowing that if I have a problem there's someone I can call who would know what to do. I wish she were in Ontario, it sounds like she has a true haven for birds being raised to be returned to the wild. She said she has a protected backyard area with one of her starlings who could not be released due to injury (shattered wing and leg) and has been with her for what I think she said was nine years. This bird apparently is an ambassador for the other wild birds learning their way.

She also allows birds being cared for before returning to the wild, to free range inside her house and has an area for them with plants, logs, etc. This, of course, is before they are well enough to be outside. Or so I have read in the book I have.
I highly recommend her books ... a definate must read for people who care about animals.

I haven't done this in a while...heh. Basically, he was being super cuddly (in the first shot he's literally nuzzling), and I realized I don't have a single photo that's me and the bird. So I fixed that. And stuff happened. Captions aren't even needed.

Note: For the purpose of keeping him as wild as possible in this situation, I rarely handle him! Also, sorry, it was early, enjoy the haven'tgottenoutofbed look. ;)

9zvnld.jpg

302vy36.jpg

2v2ftd3.jpg

2im19q9.jpg

oiyp20.jpg

o0w5r5.jpg

ajsbd2.jpg

5c0mbq.jpg

Back