Orphaned Starling (nestling stage) found

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jo! :D I'm running on about three hours of sleep which for me feels awful, haha. He fell asleep around 11, I just kept worrying he would overheat with the waterbottle I left, or freeze once it cooled off. So I kept checking. -_- Unfortunately euthanization seems to be the only option for him when it comes to wildlife centres. :( It's just that he's a starling and Toronto really doesn't care about those it seems. "Songbirds" in general that is, at this time of year when what happened to me is so common.

Thank you Donna-Lynne! :D Hopefully she'll want to take on another bird...I really think he has a shot, particularly since he survived the night and is calling for breakfast. Must...not...get...attached!

I wish you were closer and that my friend Beth wasn't on vacation...she is an expert when it comes to raising birds.....she does it all the time. Hope the baby makes it.......

I found a lead! :D I was looking up licensed wildlife rehabilitators on the Ontario wildlife site and though none seem to be in Toronto, I just happen to be getting a ride to Kingston this weekend, or rather I was until I found the bird. But other than a cottage party, what's in Kingston? My old Psyc professor, at Queen's, who was listed. :D I've emailed her and hopefully she'll reply soon! I'd feel so much better if he were in the hands of someone who not only knows what they're doing but is licensed to do so.

By the way, his hydration level is really good now. This time when he swallowed my finger whole, it came out all slimy. :p Which I believe is how it should be!

I think this is the only time having your finger slimed is good. Ok, maybe one other reason but that's it!
I hope your old prof replies quick!!

jorats said:
I think this is the only time having your finger slimed is good. Ok, maybe one other reason but that's it!
I hope your old prof replies quick!!

-searches through the gutter for her mind-
There's another reason? :lol:

Me too, I keep refreshing my inbox but nada. :( I'll try Christina soon, I didn't want to call in the morning in case she's a student and is enjoying summer vacation, lol.

:laugh4: Oh, Jo.

You know, it only just occurred to me now that surrounding my bed there is: one dog, two cats, five rats, a fish, a cocoon, and now a nestling. I'm really disturbing myself with all this wildlife!

His poo is now totally brown, almost like the soaked mash he's being given is going right through.

And I promise I'll have something better to update with next time. :wink2:

But she had lovely creatures like deer and bunnies and they styled her hair for her! Or something. I forget Disney. ;)

2616183198_c8224a5410.jpg

This was taken mid-day yesterday. I regret not having a photo of him on the first day but I suppose I really didn't think he would live. Most people I ask who have raised songbirds who were mostly bald rarely see them live long. But...he survived another night! He's developed even more since this photo.

The imprinting has certainly begun which I suppose was inevitable. He knows a kissy sound means to open up instead of getting food in him by chance, so it seems he's pretty smart. He's also kind enough to fire his poo half a foot from his "nest" so he keeps clean.

Still waiting on replies from the licensed wildlife custodian/rehabilitators to get back to me. :( It looks like I'll have to miss out on the Kingston trip since my prof there hasn't responded. But, did even more research, and I have more numbers, so I'll see what I can find today.

Has anyone actually found a wildlife rehabber that, well, doesn't send your bird to be euthanized? I've got serious trust issues with those ones. It's one thing if he's sick or injured but he's healthy and strong. :(

Thank you! :D It really is miraculous he's still alive.

LOL Jen, my friend Rachel said the same thing. :D His beak is sooo big in relation to the rest of him but I'm sure his body will catch up.

I'm just getting nervous because I think Anne was right, I was mixing up the Canadian and American laws. In Canada, it is illegal to raise/own these. I couldn't find the list of exemptions so I'm just assuming starlings are indeed protected. You're given 24 hours to turn it in. So, um, apparently I'm a criminal now. But I don't know what the law would expect me to do at this point, or even when I found him. The laws are making it so difficult for the general public to help wildlife that are sick or injured or in some sort of danger. And I understand a lot of people would actually harm the animal only because they don't know any better, their heart may be in the right place. But some of us research like mad and apparently have a general idea of what to do, but we have to worry about being charged. This doesn't sit right with me. I mean, we're pushing forth in our development of the world and taking away their natural habitats so ethically, it seems worse that we can't even help when they fall out of our buildings.

Um, okay ending rant. :D

Well, to be honest I'm not 100% they won't euthanize him...I've heard stories from friends who take creatures like baby raccoons there and they were euthanized though they were in perfect health. "Pest" seems to be the reason they give to everyone. :( I just spoke with my prof and she doesn't do rehab anymore and said I'll be lucky to find anyone who will take in a starling.

Sooo I've called the TWC -again- and nothing. Then I called another wildlife rehabber who also doesn't do birds anymore but he called the TWC and spoke with someone high up and promised I'd get a call from them shortly. He warned me they probably won't take him because there are so many orphaned songbirds at this time of year but may be able to give me names of someone who will.

At this point, now that we're used to each other, I'm not as concerned about his survival, just more what will happen if he survives to grow up. Like, he needs to be with other birds so that if they release him he'll have a shot.

This is the part where I try and distance myself. :(

Thanks Sarah! I'll try them but...with all I've heard about them (false reassurance, saying they'll take care of the animals) I'm so, so reluctant.

Okay finally in writing!

http://www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/birdlaws.php

To summarize, neither the Migratory Birds Convention Act (Federal) or the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (Ontario) protect the European Starling "in most of Ontario." Only in provincial or national parks. Wow. Maybe that's why this is so hard, they legally don't have to care. o.0

Oh thank you! I emailed them since they're now closed, it says on their site they answer emails outside of office hours. :)

I'm really getting a lot of negative reactions for having this bird. My friends and family know how important it is for me to be getting out and exposed and such and I'm currently missing a ride out to Kingston to see my closest friends, all of whom I haven't seen in nine months, and then a day at my boyfriend's cottage. The way I'm looking at it is they'll be there when this is all over, but to the bird this is a matter of life and death since no other person will care for him. So I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. It's been an honour to get to know this wild creature. But for his own sake, not even looking at my situation, he needs to be in knowledgeable hands, and two days later I'm hitting only dead ends.

I'm a little stressed. : x

Glad the little guy is doing ok. :thumbup:
Hope you are able to get the help you need.

Just pmed you Linda Johns' phone number.
Please call her.

Back