Meet my new girls: more than I bargained for!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you prefer to have them all together until they are old enough to go (which would be incredibly fun if I do say so myself!) or would you prefer to give up a momma and her litter?

Well, I'm open to anything that would work. The group of boys would work best for me because I'm more allergic to males, and because I'd be uneasy having unaltered males in the house with all the girls, but a mom and her litter could be fostered any time. And it is lovely to have an entire family. It was very special fostering Corrie and her babies (twice!) many years ago.

It would be hard to say goodbye to one of the mamas, but I could do that because I didn't get time to know them before they started having babies. And the mama might end up back with me anyway, depending on whether the fosterer could find homes.

The three girls were not well socialized where they came from. They are not at all aggressive, but they are skittish since giving birth. So anyone who fostered them could have fun playing with the mom and babies to socialize them.

I especially need to reduce the numbers temporarily from mid-April to about May 15, because I will be out of town for most of that time.

Still not home yet this evening. Will have firm numbers on number of boys and girls by Saturday. Took a pervy peek at Wellie's babies last night, and I'm guessing one of each.

Got home, had to catch Gardenia and put her in a container for five minutes so that I could count her babies and fix her nest.

She'd become so determined to fortify the nest that she'd pulled more litter and all her lab blocks into it, along with some bits of the pan liner and all the paper. I needed to check that the babies weren't gettting smothered under all the stuff.

Silly worrywart me! The babies -- all 8, yes, 8 -- of them were just fine. She had them tucked safely in a corner.

But the nest was getting a bit gross, so I'm glad I got rid of all the crud. I gave her a lot of clean paper and she started rebuilding the inside.

So I got the chance to confirm that the number of babies was 8, not 7. Three are dark, probably black Berks, and five are very light. I gave each one a kiss and took guesses about their gender. I think it was about half boys, half girls.

I feel so bad for you! Just goes to show that not everyone is honest!

When you buy rats from a backyard breeder (or even someone rehoming rats), you have to assume that
you are not being told the truth or that they may be mistaken about everything they tell you

Last edited:
So the real question is, how many boys are there and can they fit into a single critter nation?

The suspense is building! I had a look at lilspaz68's sexing photos last night, so I feel more ready for tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll get a good look at Macey's babies tonight.

Anyone want to make a bet? I'll guess 9 boys.

The verdict is not yet certain. I haven't had to do this for a very long time, and eight of the babes are still tiny. But the preliminary estimate is eight boys. Imagine that... If that is confirmed it means that Shelagh is so good that she can sex them sight unseen!!

Back