Meet my new girls: more than I bargained for!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would that breeder happen to be the one that I read a lengthy thread of? I can't remember her name but she wanted to start breeding rats and obviously, she didn't get the warm reception here that I think she thought she would lol

:thud: That's a lot of rats. If I lived near you, I'd take one or two males once their old enough. I currently have a (roughly) 2-3 month old male I just got 2 days ago. I know rats are better kept together, but we only have the one for now. We returned 2 girls to the PetSmart because the one was wildly aggressive, bit my fiance twice and became increasingly violent towards her cage mate, wouldn't even let her eat. We'd had them barely a week, it was obvious they weren't handled at all so we had to take them back, for their safety and so my fiance wouldn't be scared of rats (They were his first time owning rats). This new male is so nice and friendly, the other PetSmart had a clerk there who played with all the rats every day she worked (so she said, but it seems she was being honest, he's much better than the other two who were older.) and he's so soft and shiny and curious. But, anyway (proud new mama syndrome, sorry guys) I'd help out if there's a way.

Included a pic, this is Syrio Forel First Sword to the Sea Lord of Rattos. AKA: Syrio :D

Syrio Forel First Sword to the Sea Lord of Rattos1.jpg

Well at least the wait is over. I know you want to hand the cigars back, but sometimes we just have to take what life gives us. We are here to help you any way we can, whether it's moral support or helping with a rat train or giving some babies a home. :nod:

Thanks! I hope that there will be some adopters needing a train. My car is ready to go, unless there is a blizzard. By the time they're ready to leave their mamas, blizzards should not be a concern!

I am grateful that the moms are healthy and that there were no collocations during the births. I'm feeding them well, and I look forward to giving the moms some out time together. I think they miss each other. I'd be tempted to put them back together, but I'm concerned about Wellie's two babes. They are warm, and she is with them a lot, but they are quiet compare to the other litters. I'm hoping it's because there are only two of them. They certainly eeped loudly when she moved them into the nest the other night.

Last edited:
Would that breeder happen to be the one that I read a lengthy thread of? I can't remember her name but she wanted to start breeding rats and obviously, she didn't get the warm reception here that I think she thought she would lol

no ... as far as I know, this one hasn't bothered to come on here to find out how to properly care for rats.
She just keeps breeding more and more rats because "babies are cute" and selling them. (At least she isn't a feeder breeder .... so maybe she will smarten up and stop if she finds she is unable to sell them)
She also is/was keeping dad in with mom and nursing babies ..... and then threatened to live feed the daddy rattie to her dog, because mama rattie kept getting pregnant. :(

She still has at least 13 babies left from the litter Godmother's girls came from (and possibly from other litters), and she had another litter of babies the other day. Thank heavens this last litter is very small .... poor little mama(s), poor little babies :(
and of course her breeding (and selling) rats is taking away the few available homes in this area from the many rescue rats in desperate need of a place to go
Poor ratties :(

Now back to your regular programming ......

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to put them back together, but I'm concerned about Wellie's two babes. They are warm, and she is with them a lot, but they are quiet compare to the other litters. I'm hoping it's because there are only two of them. They certainly weeps loudly when she moved them into the nest the other night.
I would think they are quiet because there is no competition for nipples!

Just glad everyone is safe. I know I'm new around here, but I am willing to help where I can. My fiance and I are able to take in a few once they grow up if you're close enough or willing to meet halfway or something. I know it's stressful now, I've only had one unexpected litter, but I mostly tend to get males. Syrio will get lonely, and all the pet stores I used to get my rats from are no longer open. My rat selection is limited, sadly, to pet stores. I guess you can message me, and I'll keep an eye on this post as well. Keeping you and the babes in my prayers.

:) When i was 14 i had 2 guinea pigs. The pet store told me the one i was buying was a girl. so 2 months later i went to the spca and rescued another girl. so we introduced them and they got along fine. come to realize the petshop one was a boy and i had a litter of 6 babies. it was frustrating to say the least. but honestly it was one of the best experience of my life. it shows you the miracle of life. I enjoyed it so much we did it again a year later and had a litter of 4, i was 14 so my dad helped me a lot so it wasent 100 percent me. I just wish we haden't have given 3 of them to the pet store for store credit and made sure they went to good people. Enjoy it while it last's because if your like me you will miss them when there gone!

seems like common sense but why are breeders having litter after litter with the same female everytime. why not wait and make sure everyone is healthy. (if you are going to do it)

Well, Godmother was expecting to add three girls to her group, not 18!!! That is a problem - it takes time and money and space to have that many rats. It is something you take on by choice, not by having it forced upon you. So although the experience of babies will be lovely, trying to rehome that many rats in a saturated market will be difficult if not impossible. :(

Very true, i was also 14 and my dad bought pretty much everything, so the expense wasent on me! i wish you the best of luck grandmother!

I have seen this post but life has been fighting me, so I finally have time to read this. HOLY COW, you have my rats there LOL>

On the bright side them being born together so closely makes life so much easier. Let mommas have outtime together and when the babies are 3 weeks old you can put them all in the playpen together. The mommas will co-parent all the babies and you will not need as much space. Then when you split them up, you will need to find room for the boys. So it is managable we managed with 3 litters in one week from our mommas but you at least had small litters. I also posted my adoption application and contract on SQ's post about them so feel free to steal it and modify it to fit your needs. Dont be down, babies are so much fun and the cuteness can cure all. Try to see the bright side here, I know it isnt easy but you saved them and regardless they are better in your hands than in someone elses.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will hang in there and manage somehow. It must be my payback for not getting to Moncton to adopt the three older SPCA girls in January.

It will be nice when the babies and moms can be all together. I will get Sharpies in three different colours to code the litters.

The big challenge will be my next holiday near the end of April (3 weeks, airfare and accommodation not refundable), which is shortly followed by a 3-day business trip. Extremely expensive and logistically difficult to get rat sitting for so long.

The big challenge will be my next holiday near the end of April (3 weeks, airfare and accommodation not refundable), which is shortly followed by a 3-day business trip. Extremely expensive and logistically difficult to get rat sitting for so long.
So basically you need someone to move in for a month - timing is good for a university student. Do you know of any?

It must be my payback for not getting to Moncton to adopt the three older SPCA girls in January.

(or Oct, Nov or Dec ....)

No, not payback ... it is because you took her ad at face value, didn't check things out, and you bought rats from an backyard breeder.

very fortunate for the 3 girls you bought ....
and for you & your other rats as the 3 girls seem to be healthy

Looking forward to hearing how many babies are in the 3rd litter and seeing pics

Last edited:
Here is a set of contrasting nest styles, LOL
First is Wellie's. She insisted on raising her little munchkins in a (clean) litter box, turning her nose up at the lovely box that SQ made for her.

image.jpg

Back