Meet my new girls: more than I bargained for!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, finally, Gardenia's nest. She was happy to move into the box that SQ had prepared for her. This morning it was just filled with paper and her newborn eepers but, by the time I got home from work, she had barricaded the door with litter as well. There is just enough space for her to squeeze in and out.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, very creative girl, she even used kitty litter to block off entry into her nest

Glad she likes the box ...... but then she had the opportunity to choose it and fix it up, build a nest in it etc, before her babies were born
It is certainly understandable that the other 2 girls, with their nests already firmly established in the litter boxes, didn't want to make new nests in the boxes and to move their babies

Awww ... sweet babies ....
Do they all have good milk bellies?

Good thing you have 3 double CNs (and several martins cages) .... you are very well prepared :)

Last edited:
I have lots of stuff, just not the time and energy.

Just think of it as a once in a lifetime experience. :rofl4: Keep mommas having out time together, then you can move them all in around 3 weeks old. I was lucky, my second momma had all mismarked barebacks and the other were all hooded so I didnt have to mark them.

It sucks when they are at this age but when they start walking around it is so worth it. The cuteness alone. I would rather have this than what we had. Babies non stop for 10 weeks. We are splitting the second litter up in just a few days then we are done with babies after 10 weeks finally. Easier when they are all at once.

I can email the adoption apps and contracts if you need them jsut shoot me an email or pm me. It will help in finding homes. HOpefully some of the members on here can take a few or 12 :)

Just keep breathing. I was in panic mode with the 3 mommas 2 years ago but in the end it works out.

They're beautiful. I got Syrio a little friend today, a baby who was with him in the pet store. He seems a lot happier and is constantly cuddling his new buddy. Pretty sure we're naming this one Jorah.

20150303_200431.jpg

20150303_200953.jpg

I felt so bad disturbing the new moms last night, although I had to count Gardenia's babies and I had to get photos. Tonight I left them alone except for replacing food and water.
Gardenia's nest is hilarious. She took out even more litter from her boxes and stashed it, along with lab blocks, to make the door of her nest box like Fort Knox! I'll probably take another photo tomorrow.

This is the calm before the storm, where the moms do all the work.

I don't know whether it will be possible to find a couple of foster homes, but it might be my only hope. I have 1 1/2 jobs and am on the exec of a national organization, so I cannot imagine taking care of three moms and their 17 babies (cleaning, socializing, etc). I'm out two evenings a week at least, and I've been trying to offload some responsibilities. Not lazy, just tired and getting older.

If anyone in the Maritimes is reading and isn't already overloaded, please consider fostering or adopting. I know that SQ and Joanne are full up, and that RatsForever is having a hiatus from rats for a few years, but there may be some Maritime or Quebec Forum members who'd love to foster or adopt.

Maybe I'll get the kiddos their own thread.

I know you are feeling overwhelmed Godmother, but you are incredibility fortunate!

You purchased 3 pregnant girls and if they had each had an average size litter of 12 to 14, you would now be responsible for 36 to 42 newborn baby rats.
Instead you only have 18 babies, about the size of one slightly larger then average litter.
A litter of 16 babies is not that unusual. I have had rescue litters of 14 to 16 babies before, as have many others.

18 babies is a lot to deal with and I know that it will not be easy.
Hopefully you will be able to find good homes for most of them
You and the ratties will get through this

Last edited:
I am so sorry you're going thru this Godmother
I know I wouldn't be able to find the energy to care for that many rats, I do hope someone is able to help you out.

it really sucks when things dont' work out as planned. I will definitely spread the message and hope that someone in the area is able to help you out with all these rats

I cant' imagine socializing 20 rats for adoption and working so many hours too. Are there any rescues at all in your area?

Soon I'll know how many boys there are among the babies, probably about eight. I will look for someone to foster them from mid-April to the May long weekend. By then they'll be seven weeks old and used to being away from their moms and sisters.

I'd supply cage, food, cage accessories, toys, & litter. I'd provide delivery and pickup and vet and medicine costs if needed.

That doesn't sound like too bad a deal for someone, does it? Suggestions for making my pitch are welcome. I'm sure that cute photos will be part of the equation!

Back