Hope's Rescued rats, adoptables and lifers- December Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21f7952770824ad2d5330e3cc4316bce.jpg

He has the attitude to prove it to. I tried to introduce him to boys, he was a mean butt. So that is when i decided him and squeak would stay as a pair. He is a sweet boy but just not a fan of boys rats, but he loves his girl. I cant wait to kiss them Sunday!

That's pretty interesting that he doesn't get along with boys but gets along well with a female. Is this common? Do girls who don't like other females get along better with males as well? Just wondering.

I have had girls who are bossy with girls but are still bossy with boys. LOL Boys who are hormonal with boys are usually just fine with girls. Patches the boy we took in a few months ago is the same way. He is mean to boys, caused a huge gash on my boy but he is fine and sweet to his girl Ruby. It is pretty common with mean boys. I dont have the funds to neuter them all so when they are like this. I spay a girl so they can have a buddy. Since the spays are so much more beneficial to girls I try to do them rather than neuter a boy who is happy wth people and his surroundings.

Pip and squeak are here and doing ok. Pip does not do well with other rat smells so I need to get him to his new owners, life happened adn we couldnt meet up. I have 4 surgeries planned for the 14th I think. Astryd will be spayed finally and I am having her tattoo'd it is gettng harder to remember who is spayed and who isnt :) Elvis did his tail in again, sadly it helped the situation but I am not happy with it. I think he got it caught freaking out, I think he needs a neuter so I may have him neutered on that day as well. I think his tail will be off by then though. I am finding that he is a grouchy boy and freaks out with the other boys so I am not sure what to do with him. He is alone in a cage for now but i have found another boy with a sore tail. This is seriously getting old so I have decided I wil ahve to have most of these boys neutered since I have no idea what the problem is. It makes no sense to me, I have had some grouchy boys but never so many tail injuries from them. It is always gashes and so on. I have my groups all split up and that just causes extra cages and a lot more work for me.

We have a bunch that are just aging to fast for me. We lost merle this week his brother is Daryl :) so he is being intro'd to their brothers bumblebee and Ratty but they have been apart since the later two was adopted and returned to me. So they are doing ok now so I think they will be good together, they are all 3 grumpy rats so it is a harder intro LOL but they dont move at alll when I do the intros yet they fight in the playpen. Tonight they are in the playpen and they are all cuddled in the hidey house so that will be good.

I have tons of intros to work on so I can free up cages which is my life story here. so we will be doing intros for weeks to come.

I posted this on the fb page, because I am so thrilled I have money set aside for this finally.

As long as nothing comes up and I have to "break" into the 501 c 3 fund we have $321.00 of the $850.00 saved up from my birthday money, adoption fee's and selling cages. I could probably get the rest if I sold more cages :) But I am trying hard to put the adoption fees in the fund for this so they can pay for their own non-profit status. It is only possible with donations and support. We can sell food and so on so remember us when you need some food if you are local :) You can always donate at [email protected] or you can put donations on our account at our vet's office 574-277-6533. We have 3 or 4 going in for surgeries on the 14th and I have plenty of neuters I am going to have to do which we dont really have the funds for at the moment.

Pip and Squeak are home finally. I just got back from driving about 45 minutes to drop them off. Their new owner was not aware they were coming till about 2 hours before we got there so she had to rush to get a cage ready. I took a few odd and ends that we had here so they would have some stuff while they build their collection for them.

10624722_10152488900471409_176423551169922202_n.jpg

They loved them. Pip has been miserable here, so much so he beat up poor squeak. He does not do well with other rats smells at all. His stress level elevates and he is a puff ball. I decided to not stress them any further and have left them in their cage so he didnt beat up on squeak anymore. You can see the difference at his new house and the same thing I saw at Velo's house no stress for him. He was happy, ready to climb on everyone and explore his new cage but he did not puff up at all.
This family does wildlife rehab here in Indiana. So they will be a forever home for these two.

http://www.nwiwrc.com/

These are also the same family that I donate a lot of our cages to so they can use them for the wild life they save.

We lost another one of the rats who started it all. Sophia took a turn for the worse and is related to Faith and Kya who we just lost. They are all part of the 3 litters we took in 12/12. Siblings to our handicap rats.
10671280_10152482653241409_689194630435295148_n.jpg

She was my little spunky soul and will be missed in a major way.

Astryd will be spayed on friday, Morgana will have a tumor removed, and Colt will be neutered.
Elvis will have a bit of his tail cleaned up and probably a neuter since he is just not coping well with other rats. He will not be up for adoption though since he has had some issues,
Here is how his tail has moved along.

1604956_10152467607231409_1109177599787444603_n.jpg

10441043_10152467607236409_7882705347667412344_n.jpg

and he finally removed the dead part. we will fix this once and for all on friday LOL I am over this tail drama here.

10553404_10152486939471409_1013114526112960861_n.jpg

I'm glad Pip does well without other rats around and will settle into his new home easily. And glad for Sqeak too!
I'm sorry you have lost another rattie. It's something you must deal with frequently when you have so many babies in your care. (((Hugs)))
The tail must look a whole lot better without the dead part anymore!

It does and the smaller part is dying so it will be off easier, since the bone isnt connected, i have no idea what he did to it, if it was just a degloving of the healthy part of the dead tail or what. I am so excited about this though. It is has been a long ordeal with this.

I have been questioning Irish, the boy in the group with Maggie, Sophia, Katara, Kya, and himself. I seen him falling off the ramp and I moved him downstairs with the other sickly rats. Elvis moved into their cage.

Never a quiet moment in your home haha. At least you won't get bored.

I'm happy Pip and Squeak are doing well in their new home. Sounds like the family got some great rats and the rats have a great family.

So sorry for your loss <3

First I will start with the rat stuff.

Irish was struggling to use his front paws last night, I started him on PT meds, today, he held a cheerio :)

I added Elvis to the neuter list on friday. He has just a shriveled up dead part on his tail now, it died that fast. He will have that cleaned up and he will no longer be up for adoption well maybe later. I will fit him in with some girls so he will have a clan of gfs :)

So astryd, spay, Morgana tumor removal, Neuters on Colt and Elvis. :)

The 501c3 will be filed soon. I have $321.00 saved up so I was just 100.00 off. Velo donated that to me. She is to good to us sometimes just as many of you are. So that put me at enough. The state filing fee is $30.00 to get a ein number for taxes and the federal fee is 400.00 for under 10k a year. If you go over you have to file again, at the 850.00 cost to get another approval.

So I looked at a few things, "Borrowed" what was left on the bonus money from my ex :) which is $260.00 and we had 177.00 in paypal from out amazng monthly donator and velo, and dsptch paying for her food so I sent it all to the rat fund.

So that puts us at $758.00 towards the fee that wont make me reapply later, so I am making that happen. The total will be $880.00 we will be $122.00 short from making this happen. Which isnt much.

I put about 69.00 a week towards the care of the rescue, that will then be turned into donations. Once a month is it more about 60. to 75.00 more. SO you can see how that adds up. Our donations/adoption fees were 2200. I think so just to be safe and prevent ever from having to reapply, I am going to make this happen. I am worried that the spay fees and neuter fees which sometmes I dont count will be required to count so that could very well throw us near that limit. It will be tight for us, but hopefully we can put the money back slowly and have little fees later.

If you care to donate towards this fee please do so. We are so close. our paypal is [email protected].

Got some updates on the adopted rats- I sent emails to those who are not on my fb page or here SO if you adopted and I didnt email you it is because I see them on here and know they are ok
Monkey and sugar
-Monkey and Sugar are great! Monkey is as adventurous and sweet as ever. Monkey will get into anything if we let her. She explores everything, and she likes to steal Anna's homework. When Anna does her homework on the floor, Monkey waits until she isn't looking, grabs her homework, and drags it into the closet or a dresser drawer. Anna loves telling her teacher that her rat ate her homework.
Rincewinds and twoflower-Here's some pics from today! They have gotten quite big.
Irene formerly Trudy-Irene's doing great, very energetic and feisty. The rats are all curled up in a cozy pile in their wooden house by day, running and busy on the wheel and so on at night. We're very glad she's part of our family.
Mo and scout-Hi! They've both been fine, they had a grumpy day yesterday, but didn't we all. Here's some pictures. I got them a new playpen from the petstore, it works much better!

1505222_10152494513886409_3952382958802786363_n.jpg

10458654_10152494513896409_3833059578411135994_n.jpg

10418286_10152494517211409_5377676550589793115_n.jpg

10513352_10152494517226409_5677845263105753022_n.jpg

It must be nice to have success stories and hear/see how happy the adopted rats are. For all the sadness and heartache you are sure making rats and owners alike so happy.

Back