FN pictures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silas is a very beautiful rat. He is my dream rat and I have been waiting for him for 18 months. It took that long to have an all black boy. There were 3 boys in that litter and all of them black. Silas has a perfect white triangle on his tummy and the tip of his hands are white but other than that, he is black. Black rats are the most beautiful rats in my opinion. Next come siamese rats.

Wow!! My cage has made it to other forums! Seems that someone is empressed by my beautiful cage. I'm so excited now about my wonderful idea. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas: :bounce: :bliss: :bananas:

Me again, he he. Looks like I'm huging this thread.

It has been one week now since I have the beautiful trays for my cage and it is still clean. It doesn't smell bad and the bedding looks good. I won't have to clean my cage this week and I might be able to clean it every second week now.

What a difference!!! My cages always looked dirty before. I would clean it and 2 days later, is smelled pee badly. One on my rats (Lupin) has mega colon (I think) and his dropings would be all over the cage, soft, squished and extremely stinky. The floor of the cage was always wet with pee and I even had massive amount of pee on my living room floor!

When I picked up my rats, they smelled pee. There was always at least one rat on baytril and when that one rat felt better, I had to start another one on baytril.

The hammocks would be so full of pee that they were hard to the touch: lots of pee dried out in them.

At some point, I regretted that I have bought that cage but I was stuck with it. It is so big that I can't store it anywhere in the house so I had to keep it for the rats.

Now what a difference.

The hammocks are completely dry, the rats don't pee in it. They seem to use their "bathroom" more and I thing they pee in the top trays now which means I could just change the bedding there once a week and the rest once every second week.

I don't find pee on my floor anymore. Of course, there is some bedding but it is easy to sweep.

There is no strong urine smell anymore and the rats don't stink anymore. I am really happy of the results and the rats seem to enjoy their bedding too.

Slightly off topic but since you mentioned it... Have you taken Lupin in to the vet for the possible megacolon? I had a late-onset MC rat, and x-rays/medication(s) are necessary.

Also - the key to a clean cage is constantly spot cleaning! As soon as something smells even a little like pee, I take it out/replace it/wash it. :D

Jack Sparrow said:
Me again, he he. Looks like I'm huging this thread.

It has been one week now since I have the beautiful trays for my cage and it is still clean. It doesn't smell bad and the bedding looks good. I won't have to clean my cage this week and I might be able to clean it every second week now.

What a difference!!! My cages always looked dirty before. I would clean it and 2 days later, is smelled pee badly. One on my rats (Lupin) has mega colon (I think) and his dropings would be all over the cage, soft, squished and extremely stinky. The floor of the cage was always wet with pee and I even had massive amount of pee on my living room floor!

When I picked up my rats, they smelled pee. There was always at least one rat on baytril and when that one rat felt better, I had to start another one on baytril.

The hammocks would be so full of pee that they were hard to the touch: lots of pee dried out in them.

At some point, I regretted that I have bought that cage but I was stuck with it. It is so big that I can't store it anywhere in the house so I had to keep it for the rats.

Now what a difference.

The hammocks are completely dry, the rats don't pee in it. They seem to use their "bathroom" more and I thing they pee in the top trays now which means I could just change the bedding there once a week and the rest once every second week.

I don't find pee on my floor anymore. Of course, there is some bedding but it is easy to sweep.

There is no strong urine smell anymore and the rats don't stink anymore. I am really happy of the results and the rats seem to enjoy their bedding too.

When I got mine we were going to do the same thing you did, but as it turns out, the girls are using the litter box more than they were in the martins...which seems weird to me, but ya. Maybe it's cause I got 5 girls in it, and not boys? I dunno...

I have to change the fleece every 3 days, and wipe the cage daily (like I did with the martins), but it does not stink like the martins did!

I actually am fixin to do the cage now, but was scanning the pics for more ideas :p

I didn't see anything new, except the rope idea...and that pic with all the ratties in the run about ball cracked me up! I do that too, but only 2 of my girls go in it.

So anyway, when I am done, I will post the FN pics here!

Hope your lupin gets better!

New pics :)

Oct3003.jpg

Oct3004.jpg

Oct3007.jpg

Oct3005.jpg

Oct3006.jpg

Oct3011.jpg

Oct3012.jpg

Oct3013.jpg

Oct3014.jpg

I LOVE your cage!!!

What is that big tunnel lookin thing? Is that the cat toy Jo was talkin about??

and do you make your own hammocks? I am so not talented enough to do so...hence why I just cut fabric and hang..LOL

I make my own hammocks, yes :) I used to sell them, but I got a little (okay, a lot) burnt out and am now sewing for just myself and friends/previous customers.

I think Jo's referring to the big tunnel :p I've had it for a few years for playtime, and decided it'd be more fun inside the cage. The rats seem to really love it, especially Faroe who tries to hoarde food on top of it, only to find that it slides right off. Somehow that doesn't deter her from trying again though :roll: I bought the tunnel at Petsmart - you can see/buy it here.

Every single one of those cages is brilliant!! But I love yours SoA... I want one just like it, and will one day, but right now I'm still living with my mum, but will have a rat room as soon as I can afford a house! (I'm only 20 though, so may not be for a while :( )

But yeh, did you buy the double width FN? or buy 2 and join them, and if so, how? It's perfectly done, and I'd love something just like that once I get my rat room some day... The layout is absolutely brilliant, and your rats are gorgeous! I'm totally awed by the FNs, and can't wait to get one... Totally brilliant!!

Thank you for the compliments!

Double-wide FNs aren't manufactured, I modified two 2-story FNs to make my cage. :) You can read about how I did it here.

Hey that doesn't look too hard at all... love the hmmm mangled comment! hahah It's THE perfect cage, and despite being amazed at the colours, the variety, the layout, and how gorgeous your starryfooted ones are, I can't believe how neatly the towels are folded beneath the cage!! Thats some super human folding going on! Mine are all in balls! hehe

LOL I was just gonna say...my towels aren't that neatly folded! I try, but no! Very cool colours! Just when I thought I couldn't add more to my FN I see these.

I can't get over the pink. Other than all the bright coloured toys, my cage is so...blah! The two towels are brown and beige. :? I definitely don't want to post any photos of mine after this set, lol.

Back