Zera Lathergic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baytril is not enough for an inner ear infection.
I would suggest clavamox or baytril + clavamox twice a day for at least 6 weeks ... if clavamox doesn't help there are other antibiotics to try.

Baytril should never be given except orally ... it should never be given as an injection

Metacam or prednisone can be given twice a day for a couple of weeks in addition to the antibiotics, in order to reduce the swelling in her ear and help to minimize permanent damage. If pred is given, it must be given with an antibiotic as it lowers the immune system and you can not just stop giving pred, it must be gradually reduced.

Inner ear infections affect their balance and they walk with a tilted head, then walk in circles. Eventually, if untreated they will start rolling and if left untreated, they will eventually die. Rats can have permanent damage from inner ear infections so it is important that they be treated as soon as possible.

Here is an article that discusses inner ear infections .... you will need to scroll down the page to find the info.
http://ratfanclub.org/resp.html

good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for this info SQ, also maybe i phrased it wrong, but they never injected her with baytril, thats what we are taking orally.

I'm still gonna go forward with the baytril on this since I already have it, but if there's still no improvement I'll call the vet up for these other antibiotics. This was just a start he recommended because we caught this so early he doesn't want to put too much stress on her from the antibiotics. So far she's still eating and drinking, the circling has toned some, and she's taking the medicine well.

More updates this morning.

Zera has completely stopped walking around in a circle, her energy is back somewhat as well, but I can tell she's not happy with the medicine taking. She is taking it regardless but she doesn't like it lol! But I can tell there's been loads of imporvement. I've not taken the chance though to let her out during play time, just out of concern, but I'll see if she can't handle it tonight with the others.

Do you know what the injection was? Just curious.

Glad to hear she is doing better. Watch for any regression though - I wonder if the improvement you are seeing is a result of the antibiotic injection, baytril is rarely strong enough to combat an inner ear infection alone.

Could it have been Pen G she was injected with? (Pen G is think and white.) If that's the case, that's not a bad combo for an ear infection. Zithro or Chlorpalm are the best for stubborn ear infections in my experience.

The told me what it was, and I just did some research on it. They injected her once with a drug called Dexamethasone. Which I looked up:

Dexamethasone stimulates synthesis of enzymes required to decrease the inflammatory response. Its primary efficacy is that of a strong anti-inflammatory, as well as an antiallergic agent.

Well she's got her full energy back, so well in fact she refused medicine and I missed her mouth TWICE grr, but finally got a dose down her. She's defiently back to her old self, comes up for treats, scratches up mommy when she picks her up lol. I'd say the only thing that isn't back is her bullying of the boys, but I think she might have soften up because the boys have been keeping her company during her bad days, it was so cute!!!

Yup she's back to her old self, so much so that here's a vid to prove it lol!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTtlsPOmbg&index=67&list=PL492C8A35C8F8CBF4[/ame]

Back