Zack's... penis plug.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKbusy

Uh. Yeah. So I noticed that Zack was walking really really slowly and carefully last night (usually, he's a bouncing fur-ball), and after checking him all over, I discovered that he had a solid, milky-coloured plug. I removed it right away with a moist, wet tissue. 'It' wasn't going back in completely on its own, so I lathered it with some antibiotic ointment, and helped it a little. >.< I gave him a dose of metacam, since he was obviously feeling some discomfort, and he's been on Baytril anyway for his night-time wheezes.

What I'm wondering is, how long before he starts walking normally again? I was expected bouncing, crazy Zack the very next morning... and he seems to be doing a little better (less tentative when scratching with his hind legs), but he's still mostly just sleeping and moving reaaaaaal slow. He's till eating and drinking.

I'm also wondering if I should worry that it's something more serious...?

Also, his 'man area' looks normal, but when I start protruding his penis, the sheath that covers the actual penis has a ring of dark red. It looks kinda raw and painful... actually. Is that normal after having a penis plug? Also... I was reading that only old or SICK rats tend to get penis plugs.

Well, Zack is certainly not OLD. And he seems perfectly healthy except his slight wheeze at night (which has been gone since I started the Baytril).

Any additional info/experience on recovery time would be great >.<

Thanks!

Usually penis plugs occur because the rat has trouble grooming that area. It makes me wonder if there is some other issue going on down there causing the discomfort.

If he is still moving gingerly, you should check again. You should check 3-4 times a day, until he goes 2 days without having any. We deal with these on and off with our Dominic, who is almost 28 months. Sometimes he just gets one, cause he had a down day and was lazy. But they can come back fast, if they continue to not groom. My boys usually perk up after 5-10 minutes, after they realize they can pee again, and that it doesn't hurt anymore. Is it possible that the antibiotic ointment clogged it up again? You really have to keep on top of plugs. I usually catch them by smell more than anything.

I'm not sure what the ring of dark red is, other than irritated/surface blood vessels. I do know that I almost always see it, when I check for a plug on Dominic - even when he doesn't have a plug. May just be part of the system?

I've been checking twice a day. Basically, I have a moist, warm tissue ready, I protrude his penis, and hold the warm tissue over it for a few seconds. I TRY to wipe gently (try being the key word). He was definitely squirmier today than yesterday. I think I'm going to stop using the ointment. >.< The reddish ring is still there, but seems a little less intense in colour.

I'm beginning to suspect that he had the plug quite a long time, but I just never noticed, because he was still young, mobile and hyper until it got REALLY bad. If he's still not completely recovered by Sunday, I'm taking him to the vet. Just in case.

Anyone else have any theories? His breathing is still perfectly fine. I don't actually smell any infection. He's still cleaning himself (just slowly). I also can't feel any body masses/lumps/whatever.

Zack is supposedly about 8-9 months old.

LOL. I'm slightly less worried, since when I got back from class, he was... SOMEHOW... his usual hyper self again. He was puffing up at the others, he was hard at work demolishing his plushie... in general... he seems all better again. >.<

Obviously, I'm going to keep checking his area down there... just to make sure it's always clean. Is it possible that a rat just gets it? Without being sick? My other theory is that Zack likes to hump things. -__- He does it to his plushie and anything that's furry. I know his plushy has short soft hairs, but one of the teddy bears in his play area has long white hairs... could getting something like that caught in that area cause this? But then, wouldn't he just groom it away himself?

*sigh* Either way, I just wish I knew what caused it... And I'm hoping it's just one of those one-time freak accidents.

Back