Yuss! Yay for oxbow!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivianelizabeth

I FINALLY got my rats some Oxbow Regal Rat at a pet supply store in Whiterock BC Canada (peace arch crossing from the states.)

I was so nervous about starting them on it because many people have said their rats refuse to eat it....

Well mine started stashing it and fighting over it like it was treats!!! they looove it WAY more than the crappy lab block they were getting before.

Also, regal rat smells AMAZING compared to HT/other blocks i've smelled. It smells like sweet warm oatmeal. It also smells fresh and well made. like you can smell the quality.
Also extra bonus is that it's shaped like cute little hearts :)

and much less mess too.

So yay! I am rather happy.

although it's REALLY expensive up here (17$ for 3 pounds) it's soooooo worth it.

Yay! Do keep in mind that a lot of rats start up loving the Oxbow and then slowly start to not want to eat it. But then after a while goes back into it.
All mine get Oxbow and HT. They go through phases which is fine by me.

Yeah mine definately go through the phases as well. They went crazy for it at first and now they are going through an "I don't like that stuff" phase.

It's so cute watching my girls eat tiny hearts in their tiny little hands.

But that's how they started for me - going nuts over it and then stopping by the next day. I gave them a week though and now they eat it happily.

hah!
The hearts are just SO cute.

I was surprised because I had added a hanging treat stick the previous day (in a precarious place so they eat it SLOWLY lol)
And even though there is the choice between treat stick and oxbow they still are going for the oxbow!

They're working on adding crack to it so they like it more consistently. And by crack I mean something tastier than apples, hopefully.

... though my rats will fight over apples...

minnow said:
They're working on adding crack to it so they like it more consistently. And by crack I mean something tastier than apples, hopefully.

... though my rats will fight over apples...

I sureeee hope they decide to add something more attractive to it.

Yes I can attest that they are working on reformulating and CCRR is going to be the official taste testers. That is about all I can say as they have now made me sign a confidenitality agreement that I can't say any more than that until after the new forumual has been released.

Also stasching and getting excited for something new doesn't necessarily mean they will actually eat it. Heck mine will get excited and worked up over the smallest of stuff. I think they just like the idea of something new to their cage and something new to stash. Also some rats will stash to make it appear that their food is all gone so they need more food. I have had smart buggers like that too! Just watch to make sure you actually see them sitting down and eating it.

Staci

Mone loved it first, now they are in the stage of not liking it. I am going to give it another go tonight and see if they will atleast try it ..for the past little while they have been refusing to even touch it, for up to a week.

vivianelizabeth said:
My rats are apple lovers too.
I always give them my cores to munch!

be careful I have always heard that apple seeds are bad for them because they have small traces of arsenic in them.

don't make teh mistake I made. I bought 1 3lb bag of Oxbow, they loved it. So I decided to buy the 40lb bag because it's cheaper. I bought it, got it home and they would not touch it. I tried just leaving oxbow in thier dishes, they never ate for a week. To this day I still have 30 lbs of Oxbow. I started to think aboout it, and it came to my mind that maybe the food is expired, stupid me never looked at the bag, just opened it, put it in sealed containers and put them right in the freezer. So I have no idea what was teh expirey, so I went out and bought another small bag, to see if they would eat it, sure enough they did. So I contacted Oxbow, they told me that the small plastic 3lb bags are much fresher than the 40 lb bags made of paper. I was told to send a 1/2 pound sample up to them and they would test it to see how old it is and that they would do something for me. I sent the food, just waiting for it to get their now. But as of right now my guys are on Extrusion.

artbymollie said:
vivianelizabeth said:
My rats are apple lovers too.
I always give them my cores to munch!

be careful I have always heard that apple seeds are bad for them because they have small traces of arsenic in them.

Yeah that. Apple seeds are NOT a good idea, and really any seeds/pits should be avoided.

I started grinding the Oxbow up in a blender with a little water and whatever healthy bits I have around and they eat it more happily now. Still, I can't wait to get HT.

Back