Yuck! Ulcerated Cyst?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kibble

Well, Archie's pea-sized lump got a bit bigger and went scabby, so we took him to the vet on Monday. She gave him antibiotics, and said to call her to make an appointment for surgery if it wasn't smaller and un-scabbed by Friday. On Tuesday, the top of the lump had fallen off, exposing a hard, bony knuckle in his side. I went to the vets for advice this morning, and they took notes and said to keep him clean and on the antibiotics and come back on Friday. And now, Wednesday evening, I was examining him, and the hard bit came out when I prodded it!

URGH. The bit that was sticking out of him is hard and dry, and the bit that was still in him is moist and sticky. It smells body-cavity gross, but I don't know if it smells infection gross. The hole (the HOLE) left in his side was big, deep and bloody at first, but he spent an hour lying quietly on the sofa, and it seems a lot shallower now.

So, it's probably not cancer, right? Do you think it sounds like an abccess, or a cyst? He didn't act like it hurt, and let me remove it with virtually no fuss. He's taking Baytril. Will that be enough by itself, or should I ask for something else as well?

That sounds exactly like a cyst. I personally have never given abs for it and it sounds like you were able to get the capsule out so it most likely won't come back.

No camera, but I just got a drawing pad, so here you go.

The green thing is a pea for scale.

ratlump4.png

ratlump5.png

ratlump6.png

ratlump7.png

Oh that's a great drawing!!! LOLOL
If it's deep and yucky, I suppose you could flush it with plain saline, but you want to keep it open and let it dry out. If it heals from the inside-out, then it's unlikely to recur.
Just check your bedding - you don't want to have anything that will get into the hole, so fleece would be good, or something similar.

It's healing beautifully, actually. The hole is all gone, and he's just got a shallow, scabbed wound where it was. It was just hard to believe how that disgusting, hard, knobbly thing could have grown inside him, like an alien egg.

Back