Your opinion please

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

Things have been topsy turvy in our house for a good little bit. Our roomie decided to up and move and says she's moving out the 15th (tomorrow) though none of her stuff is packed up or moved. With this, it means that we have to move out because we can't afford this place without that other person.

Intros have not gone well with Goliath or Flux every time so far. Flux is roughly 6 months now I think and that explains because of the amount of testosterone he has currently flooding his system.

Because of everything that has happened, we don't have the money right away for a neuter for Flux, who is the one that needs it.

Obviously I'm not going to force Goliath back through another intro with Flux unless Flux gets fixed, but they've both been lone rats the last few months because things kept getting in the way like bronchitis, a kid staying here for weeks and now my concussion.

I'm at a loss of what to do here. Goliath I am sure with his temperament would be fine meeting a younger rat before the testosterone period. But I don't want to add another rat with no guarantee that it will get along with either of my boys, ya know?

Should I just wait and save, get Flux fixed and try then?
Should I try adopting an already fixed male to integrate with either one of the boys, namely Goliath?

Frustrated.

I would say wait and save for the neuter. The chances of finding a neutered boy are probably slim and another intact boy may need a neuter when he gets older too.

In situations like this, I always wish there was a shelter or rescue that would let me bring home a rat and try them out with a lone boy to see how it goes. For lots of reasons, I guess that's not do-able. A fixed boy would be a good bet if you think Goliath will be accepting. Otherwise, perhaps it is best to just keep smothering him with loads of attention until things settle down a bit for you and the funds become available to neuter Flux.

*hugs* Sorry you're going through a bit of a rough patch right now.

He's actually more attentiony and affectionate now than he was before Flux bit him. Before he was content for a few scritches and wander around, not he is at the cage door going "Mommy? Mommy! LOVE ME!"

We're wondering if a younger boy would be a good idea for him. Honestly Goliath is an older rat, we don't know his age. He's already silvering on his pretty black fur and the previous owner said they had him a year, but we don't know how old he was when he came to them. He was a lone rat with them, but he is missing a toe and has a large scar on his side that we found the night of the vet visit that indicates he may not have been a lone rat his whole existence.

We're going to try to wait out and fix Flux. There is a vet here that will fix for about $60. But we can't do ANYTHING until we get moved because we're having to move at the first of the month. Sigh.

There are 'apparently' two rescues in my area which I have never heard of before. 1 has a lone boy who is 'afraid of other rats and would have to be alone' and the other doesn't have any boys at the moment.

I just don't want Goliath to have to spend the rest of his life alone :(

The e-vet I went to won't unless it's through care-credit, but I wasn't accepted for care-credit when I went through them soooo, them prolly not.

This other vet? Haven't talked to them heavily on it yet.

At this point, since your life is being all topsy turvy...I would wait and save for a neuter. In the meantime, lots of loving and attention to the both of them.

Sigh, Flux is DEFINITELY in that aggressive stage. He smelled Goliath on me (I just popped Goliath's daily veggies in his and he was immediately puffed up. Not aggressive, he knows it's ME, but he didn't stop being puffy. He is however, happy and roaming the cage because I had a petco giftcard for my birthday and used it to buy cat and rat supplies. So one cage for a hammock, the other got a triangular tube. Each got a new kabob toy as well. Hopefully that will appease them for a little bit.

Lots of loves and loves for them both <3 I love my boys.

Back