Your favorite pet store products?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar

I've been a Global employee for almost a month now. Our small animal section is in better shape than most because my manager is involved in rabbit rescue. She's so amazing that she told me that if I had any suggestions for food or other products that I could certainly bring them up. Who better to ask than a bunch of crazy rat people on the internet? :wink:

Food wise we carry Oxbow and I brought up the possibility of ordering 50lb bags of Mazuri to bag down in place of a seed mix. In a greater effort to cut down on seeds I'm going to ask about bringing in hamster/gerbil Mazuri, too. The only other kibble/block we carry is by Martins and I'm confused by the high protein as compared to the seed mixes. If someone has some insight on this that'd be very helpful. Unfortunately we rarely order from Hagen so we can't get hamster extrusion blocks.

Off the top of my head.. We have glass bottles, dog/cat/bird/pig/bun toys, aspen pellets/shavings, YN, igloos, wood huts, ceramic dishes, and silent spinners.

It would be great if you could get them to stock a few home-made local hammocks. One of the Fredericton pet stores (an independent, alas gone out of business) used to do that. sounds like you have a pretty good selection of stuff already, and I am so glad that you are trying to educate them about the seed mixes.

Do you have the cardboard tubes called Chewbs? Rats love them. The wooden chew toys for birds are nice, as well as the ones with the walnut inside.

Cigar said:
The only other kibble/block we carry is by Martins and I'm confused by the high protein as compared to the seed mixes.

I've talked to the Martins people numerous times at trade shows and the same guy keeps trying to tell me to supplement with veggies and restrict their intake. And I tell him (again and again and again) that rats should be free fed. And he tells me that he's never heard that before and I tell him "Yes you have, from me". It's shameless the way we flirt... :roll:

Moon said:
Cigar said:
The only other kibble/block we carry is by Martins and I'm confused by the high protein as compared to the seed mixes.

I've talked to the Martins people numerous times at trade shows and the same guy keeps trying to tell me to supplement with veggies and restrict their intake. And I tell him (again and again and again) that rats should be free fed. And he tells me that he's never heard that before and I tell him "Yes you have, from me". It's shameless the way we flirt... :roll:

:lol2: Oh, the people who are supposed to design products for our pets.. they're so ignorant most of the time. In your opinion would it be better to sell someone a 15% protein seed mix than a 20% protein kibble? I always make sure to encourage veggies on the side no matter what.

Which Global do you work at? If it's not too far, I'd love to stop in and see the small critter selection :)

I'm very disappointed in Martins as well. We did tell them that their protein is much too high. But I guess it would cost them too much to change their product.

Cigar, I think I would push the block before a seed mix but at the same time, really push the daily veggies.

StaceyM said:
Which Global do you work at? If it's not too far, I'd love to stop in and see the small critter selection :)

We're in the Rio Can plaza at Wellington and Commissioner. :thumbup:

Jo, that's what I was thinking. At least a rat would eat a block whole rather than picking through it and eating the junk food. I'm feeling that same disappointment. I think I'm going to call them and raise this point with a customer rep. Companies are always revamping and this is something they could really take advantage of.

I think I might have gotten him to bite on the idea of packaging the existing food for juveniles and them possibly formulating a food for older rats with less protein. He said they've been doing it for rabbits for a while, and I said if they put out a formula with 14% we might be able to actually recommend it.

That's a great suggestion, I hope he passed it on to the right people. I'll poke at the again. ;)

How many of you guys buy salt licks and mineral stones?

no mineral or salt blocks here.

The Martins ppl have heard from me quite a few times too. It took Rabbit Rescue QUITE a while to get them to understand the importance of food for younger, and adult rabbits.
Martins now makes their rabbit pellets, and then the "adult/less active' formula too.
It's too bad they don't listen, I always LOVED Martins food for my bunnies, and would love to suport them once again....

henry's_mum said:
no mineral or salt blocks here.

It's too bad they don't listen, I always LOVED Martins food for my bunnies, and would love to suport them once again....

What about pumice stone or lava bites? Clover would nom them like crazy, after her stroke I had to move it down for her to nom safely. On a related note, I totally forgot that we don't have Yogies! We have some dehydrated fruit by Oxbow and another natural company. I personally prefer using Gerber Puffs and Cheerios as treats to anything else, really. What about you?

We sell alot of their products, we even have a frequent buyer card with them. I wish I could promote their rat food, too.

dubchick said:
i love sputniks :joy:
and lego houses :joy:

Aren't Sputniks only available in the UK? :stickpoke: I have a hamster/baby size one but haven't seen any here ever again. I'd die to have a big one for my rats. I also wish I hadn't sold my lego, I was thinking about that not too long ago. I'm trying to find some Mega Blocks.

Cigar said:
dubchick said:

Aren't Sputniks only available in the UK? :stickpoke: I have a hamster/baby size one but haven't seen any here ever again. I'd die to have a big one for my rats. I also wish I hadn't sold my lego, I was thinking about that not too long ago. I'm trying to find some Mega Blocks.
nope I can get Sputinks at the pet valu in Cobourg, I think it's pet valu???

Cigar said:
dubchick said:

we get ours at global foods. we get one size up of the hampster/baby size. we also want a big one... but so far global only has the mediums in ...

henry's_mum said:
Cigar said:
dubchick said:

nope I can get Sputinks at the pet valu in Cobourg, I think it's pet valu???

I'm really excited now. :happydance:

I got my ratties their sputniks at Pet Paradise in Guelph. That was a couple years ago now, and the store no longer carries them :(. I wish I could find some more! My ratties have almost chewed through the ones that I have! They are still safe but soon I think I'll have to replace...

crumbilina said:
I got my ratties their sputniks at Pet Paradise in Guelph. That was a couple years ago now, and the store no longer carries them :(. I wish I could find some more! My ratties have almost chewed through the ones that I have! They are still safe but soon I think I'll have to replace...
this is what I didn't like about them... they chewed through them WAY faster thatn their igloos.....

I have a dinky one that my rats all loved as babies, especially the girls. There's some moderate chewing but nothing to compromise it. I guess I'm lucky!

Back