Young rats not really active?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat_lover16

I got two males recently. 1 is a Dumbo male and his one eye is smaller then his other. Hes about 9 weeks old or so (not really sure). His eye doesnt bother him or anything. The other one is another male, about 5 weeks old I think. All they do is sleep in their hammock and come out to eat occasionally. Neither are sneezing or acting sick is it normal for them to not be active? We just got them a couple days ago

I got 2 dumbo babies on wednesday, all they have done is hide behind the litter tray and sleep and come out for food and water.
I am not sure if it is because they are so little or because they are still in a different environment.

What are your babies like outside of the cage? Can you put them on a bed and video them for us? We can tell if they are just scared, or not feeling well etc, and give you a better idea of age.

If you can get a video like lilspaz mentions, that will give us an idea if they are being sickly or if it's natural or if they are scared. Usually at that age rats are very playful.

I can get a video later on tonight I need my camera and its being borrowed until this evening :). Until then I can describe as best I can. The one is very laid back he will just sit there on you and sleep. The smaller male will almost bolt when you go to pick him up but once you get him he will eventually calm down. I was sitting on the couch with the smaller guy last night and he tried to run full speed up my shirt to get away. Grabbed him and closed him up in my shirt like a hammock. He shakes when you hold him, the other does not. The smaller guy also sways his head in his cage when standing still. My sister said he was very active in the feeder tank with the other rats. The other male was suppose to be a feeder but the lady felt guilty and gave him to us. Heres a picture I took yesterday, Ill get more later tonight along with a video. They were running around the cage last night I heard them and are eating/drinking fine

CIMG4213_zpse491d175.jpg

They also will not take food directly from me or a spoon....only out of their bowl. The larger guy also chatters his teeth when hes out on our shoulder or hand

Sounds to me like they are just scared but once they get used to you, they will start to play. When did you get them? I recommend playing with them a lot. Open the cage and stick your hand in there with treats and rub their bodies and tickle their necks, try and get them to run and hop all over the place. I would also do the "down the shirt" trick. Put on a shirt and a tshirt over top and stick them in between. Keep them there for an hour or so, do this several times so they can bond to your scent.

Keep in mind that rats are usually pretty lazy in the day and more active at night, have you tried to interact in the evening?. Give them time to trust food from your hands rather than their bowl, I'd suggest food in the bowl but treats only from the hand. Swaying is not unusual in some rats, especially pink-eyed kids, they seem to lack some depth perception and do it to focus. and without seeing your boy's chattering it's hard to say why he does it, do you know what bruxing is? it might be a good thing! I hope all is well with them physically, there's no doubt they've got it made parent-wise.

Okay folks heres the videos and some pics. In the first video I got the camera. [BBvideo 450,375:rnpuas95]http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/nancy19671/media/CIMG4249_zpsf95b9cd4.mp4.html[/BBvideo:rnpuas95]

In the second video my sister has the camera [BBvideo 450,375:rnpuas95]http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/nancy19671/media/CIMG4251_zps3bd398d3.mp4.html[/BBvideo:rnpuas95]

Heres more pics. Please go check out my new thread in the habitat section to tell me if my cage is ok.

CIMG4250_zps746249ff.jpg

CIMG4239_zps476ccb34.jpg

CIMG4227_zpsd55d56b3.jpg

Can anyone tell me their age? Im not to sure I was just guessing. I hope the beige and white guy comes around, I got them Tuesday and the other Wednesday

Hahah they are just fine. They are both beige and white, just the bigger boy is a dumbo, I think you have 2 litters here not 2 brothers, but it won't make any difference.

Dumbo boy is calmer but he might be the one that's more nervous in the end (( noticed you have a cat and rats often instinctively react to a predator being around when they are unsure, new and very young...a lot of the hiding and running could be part of that). Working in the bathroom like this is very good...the rats can explore, get to know you but not necessarily by being picked up, but in their own time...approach, retreat, etc. Bring small treats to the bathroom next time and offer them (cheerios are good, NO yogies)

The active smaller top ear boy looks like he will be fun...he's active, he moves toward you, he's curious about everything...if he's the one you're worried about, I wouln't be worried. The dumbo is quieter (some rats stay still when they are nervous, and I actually would like to see him relaxing and moving around like the other boy eventually...as that is normal typical baby behaviour. He does turn towards you which is good...a truly spooky rat would bolt while out...I think just keep going like this and you'll be fine sooner than later. They are very cute boys...my guess is about 5 weeks old.

The one is a blue/grey colour I think? They are from different litters I knew that. The dumbo was from a lady who bought him to use as snake food but couldnt do it so we got him. The regular ear guy (Hermes) was from a pet store feeder bin. Our cats will just look at them and the rats will come to the side of the cage to sniff them, my dogs are fine with them as well my younger guy will just stand and watch them. Hes seen rats before my previous rattie would climb all over him

Back