Young rat having sneezing fits?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srspibble

So one of my young rattie girls, Elsa, who is about 3 months old, has these random sneezing fits throughout the day. Her cage mate (Naya) was diagnosed with pneumonia about 2 weeks ago, and in a bit of a panic I took them both to the vet. I separated them and they have been on on Baytril since. Naya is doing much better and you'd never have even known she was sick, but Elsa still has these crazy sneezing fits throughout the day and I have no idea what it is! I still have them separated just to be safe, but she acts totally healthy! She's active and eats and drinks normally. Theres no discharge coming from her nose or eyes so I'm just lost.

Currently she's in half of my double CN. She has no cage liners or bedding, I just wipe the trays down daily and give it a good cleaning weekly (she shreds the fleece liners in minutes >_<). When she sneezes its a real squeaky, loud sneeze and is normally up to 10 sneezes in a row. Anyone have n idea of what it could be???

You should keep the girls together. The stress of being separated is bad for them. Rats should be on meds for about a month. I wonder if Elsa needs a combo maybe add doxy or Zithro to the Baytril. Or maybe it's allergies? You could try Benadryl. Good luck with your sweetie.

It could be allergies and I agree, don't separate her from her buddies. That just makes it worse.
Give benedryl a try and if it continues, a vet visit will be needed.

Back