Young Bear visits the Rat Shack

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickelrat

This past Sunday, while Ric, my hubby, was barbecuing, spotted a young bear between the cars in our driveway. He quickly went to get his camera and excitedly but in a calm voice, told me there was a bear. At first it didn't register what was he saying but a few seconds later, I went to mamarat's place and in a not so calm voice, I shouted:"BEAR!!!" Now everyone in our Rat Shack went to look at this super cute bear. By then he got really scared and went into the ditch at the back of our driveway. This is where Ric took a few pics of this hungry bear.

Peekaboo!
Bear-1.jpg

I'm cute and scared but I want food!
Bear2.jpg

Thank you mamarat for putting out stale bread that was supposed to be for the birds. Now mine...yum!
Bear3.jpg

Well, thanks for staring at me, now I must find my way home.
Bear4.jpg

Bye bye bear. Please, don't come back here!!
Bear5.jpg

Some neighbors had their cameras too. It was very exciting for all of us. I think it was getting too crowded for the scared bear. But this is the first time that we get a bear around here, even though there's woods and trails right down our lane way. He sure look sweet. He looked like a giant teddy bear! :heart: While we were all gawking and admiring this wonderful creature , morats (my dad) said that he wished that he could go there and pet him like we do to our rats. :lol: Ya right, Dad! :giggle:

It was really cool seeing the bear but I wasn't happy it was so close to our driveway like that. He was such a scared little guy, if a kid on a bike came too close, he'd turn around and jump the fence and then come back to our ditch when all was clear. He can't be anymore than 2 years, he's quite small, he can't be any younger than 2 years because Mom would have been around and that would have been very scary!!

Godmother said:
Nothing like a BBQ to attract a black bear, although Timmy's doughnuts would come a close second
I've heard that some bears - particularly those that are smarter than the average bear - are really fond of snatching "pic-a-nic" baskets. :wink:

We see bears around where I live from time to time, and they're really beautiful animals, but I'm glad they never get as close as our driveway (so far, anyway)!

LOL if you had called the MNR it would have been my hubby's sister in law who would have helped handled the trap and release process! She says that this year alone, they have had to trap and release over 100 bears already.

rat.charmer, we were wondering what we should have done. It was a Sunday, would they have responded? I know once, the cops responded to a call about a bear in the neighborhood and they shot it, killed the baby bear. :sad3:

I hope you have better luck than we did last fall. We had a cub in our neighbour's tree. We phoned the police and asked them what we were to do and they said just leave it alone it will go away so I phoned the MNR and they said phone the police. It was a good thing it wasn't an emergency.

Ann

raindrop said:
I hope you have better luck than we did last fall. We had a cub in our neighbour's tree. We phoned the police and asked them what we were to do and they said just leave it alone it will go away so I phoned the MNR and they said phone the police. It was a good thing it wasn't an emergency.

Ann
Our tax dollars at work. :doh:

Back