Yoshi - URI not getting any better (now under control!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia9_28

Yoshi (1.5 years-old) has a pretty bad URI right now and I have him on Baytril and Doxy, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. :(
It's been about 4 or 5 days now and I should be seeing signs of improvement by now, but I'm not.
Sometimes it seems like he's breathing better, and other times his breathing acts up again, especially when he's hyper.

He had a URI a couple of months ago and it cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

Any suggestions for something else than Doxy to pair up with Baytril? My vet is very difficult though. :/

I will take a video of his breathing shortly.

I've been watching him very closely over the weekend, and I think it is getting better now!

But I'm just concerned that it would come right back a couple of weeks after...just like the last time.

Would Zithro make it go away for good you think? Do I need a 24-hour delay between Doxy and Zithro?

You don't need to wait between the two as far as I know but if it is working, then I would keep him on what he is one.

If it is helping you will want to keep him on the meds for at least 6 weeks.
Symptoms usually return right away because they were not completely over it as meds were not given long enough, or their is another problem such as a different respir issue or a heart problem.

I was going to do it for 4 weeks anyway, but I'll do it for 6 weeks just to be sure then.

Another question: Lets say that in a couple of weeks or more, his symptoms are completely gone, is it safe for him to go in surgery(neuter) while still on the meds, or should I wait the whole 6 weeks to get him neutered?

And is 18 months old too old for a neuter? I should have gotten him neutered when I got him at 12 months old and noticed his crazy hormones. :emb:
He is ok with his friend Diego, but any other rat is a threat to him. lol

mia9_28 said:
Lets say that in a couple of weeks or more, his symptoms are completely gone, is it safe for him to go in surgery(neuter) while still on the meds, or should I wait the whole 6 weeks to get him neutered?

And is 18 months old too old for a neuter?

Check with your vet.
No age is too old if they are in good health.

Zithromax and baytril is a great combo to try when baytril and doxy doesn't work anymore. If there still isn't improvement, you may want to consider a nebulizer. For very stubborn, reoccuring URI's I have had success adding a bronchodilator, gentamicin and amikacin (sp?), and then the baytril.

Also, I have had surgeries on much older rats.

I have also done surgeries on rats who were being treated for URI's but stable, but it is definitely one of those things you have to judge based on your vets comfort level, and the pros and cons of waiting versus having the surgery right away.

Baytril and Doxy seem to be working now, actually! (I should have changed the title)
I was just worried that it was taking so long and Yoshi 's URI seemed really bad, but finally there is some improvement! I played with him today, and while he was quite hyper, I held him close to my ear to hear his breathing and it is soooo much better! :)

Regardless, thank you for the info as it will come in handy if ever him or another rat goes through the same thing again!

And my vet has only done one neuter before on rats (she's a new rat vet), and although it was successful, I think I will wait for him to be done his meds if it could, in a way or another, make the process more risky. Thank you for the input.

Back