Yoda 1/24/13 to 12/19/15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

On way to vet - found Yoda in respiratory distress and cold. (He's a nakie) He is occassionally gasping. No idea what is wrong with him. He's on antibiotics for cheezy stuff coming out his male glands/penis shaft and I did get a big penis plug out. He'll be two next month.

Looks like heart condition and pneumonia. He is going home on doxy, baytril, enalapril, lasix, and metacam. They wanted to add an herbal, but I said five meds were plenty for now. I can do heart condition - its been awhile, was hoping not too again... We'll re-evaluate in a couple days. He's not blue so he's getting some oxygen in. Hang in there Yoda man!!!

He died! We never made it out of the vet. He gasped to breathe when they took him off the oxygen. The second time they went to put him back on the oxygen hecrashed and we choose not to have them try and resuscitate him. RIP sweet boy - play hard with Birney & Streaker - Mommy & Daddy ♡ you!

Last edited:
Still very shocked !! I know all of you understand that our ratties (meaning all of you guys) have such personalities amd some grab a hold of our heart more than others. Yoda was "a ****" as daddy called him. If there was trouble in the cage 97% of the time it involved Yoda. He was just Yoda or Yods as I called him. Not our heart rat, but still loved and spoiled. We had no idea yesterday would be his last with us. I just want him back .... I don't understand how he can be fine and then have a chest full of fluid from pneumonia. How the hell does that happen?! When I found him why didn't I think to give him lasix? Truthfully, I didn't hear anything when I rat phoned him and come to think of it neither did the vet. It was the x-ray that showed all the fluid. Again, how does that happen? Why didn't we get him to the vet sooner- would it have made a difference? There are so many "What if's?" in my head right now. He would if been 23 months old on Christmas Eve. He was part of the "Boris Boys" in the last two months they have gone from 5 to 2. RIP Yoda baby ... we miss you so much and Sneezer misses his buddy..

Could it have been a burst pulmonary abscess? In some rats, the abscesses can wall off a lung which makes it sound like clear lungs to us when we rat phone them. I've had a couple of rats who had lung abscesses that I didn't think they were sick and it burst and blocking the lungs causing asphyxiation. In the two rats, it was sudden and caused their death.
I'm so sorry this happened to your guy. It's hard to accept these sudden deaths.

Could it have been a burst pulmonary abscess? In some rats, the abscesses can wall off a lung which makes it sound like clear lungs to us when we rat phone them. I've had a couple of rats who had lung abscesses that I didn't think they were sick and it burst and blocking the lungs causing asphyxiation. In the two rats, it was sudden and caused their death.
I'm so sorry this happened to your guy. It's hard to accept these sudden deaths.
I have no idea! From the time I found him to the time he died was probably 5-6 hours so it wasn't sudden. He never improved, but stated the same on the oxygen. The x-ray showed very foggy area covering most of the heart. Heart seemed enlarged and there seemed to be some nodules at the base of his heart - on in, but outside. His trachea was also narrow about middle to base as if the heart was pinching it off. Like our other boy's had. I forgot about that till now. I'm going to have our regular vet take a look at them tomorrow. I wanted a necropsy, but hubby said no. The end was dreadful as he gasped and lounged for me (my face) while I held him before they took him back the second time. We knew he wasn't going to make, but everything changed so quickly. I'm not sure why they gave him back to me in the same condition I brought him in. He was still cold! Myco was the other diagnosis she was thinking if it wasn't his heart. I really wish we would of done the necropsy. We had the vet I don't trust and she knows it - she won't even be alone in the room with me. If she messed up again..... right now its just easier for me to blame her.

I have no idea! From the time I found him to the time he died was probably 5-6 hours so it wasn't sudden. He never improved, but stated the same on the oxygen. The x-ray showed very foggy area covering most of the heart. Heart seemed enlarged and there seemed to be some nodules at the base of his heart - on in, but outside. His trachea was also narrow about middle to base as if the heart was pinching it off. Like our other boy's had. I forgot about that till now. I'm going to have our regular vet take a look at them tomorrow. I wanted a necropsy, but hubby said no. The end was dreadful as he gasped and lounged for me (my face) while I held him before they took him back the second time. We knew he wasn't going to make, but everything changed so quickly. I'm not sure why they gave him back to me in the same condition I brought him in. He was still cold! Myco was the other diagnosis she was thinking if it wasn't his heart. I really wish we would of done the necropsy. We had the vet I don't trust and she knows it - she won't even be alone in the room with me. If she messed up again..... right now its just easier for me to blame her.

Had our regular vet look at Yoda's x-rays yesterday and I don't believe her conclusion or first diagnosis was pneumonia. She seems to believe the fluids was outside his lungs not inside. So more of a CHF or ruptured lung abscess - both we would not of heard. Either way he was fine until he wasn't and at that point he was too far gone to save. She agreed with the rest of the observations.

Back