Yellow squash

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
I have a bunch of it. Should I cut it up and boil it for the ratties or can they eat it raw?

Let me call my sister... the squash expert. lol

She bakes it for her rats.
I've never seen anywhere a warning against raw though. I guess, if you wouldn't eat it raw then cook it for the rats too.

jorats said:
Let me call my sister... the squash expert. lol

She bakes it for her rats.
I've never seen anywhere a warning against raw though. I guess, if you wouldn't eat it raw then cook it for the rats too.

well what if i wouldnt eat it raw or cooked? LOL

When she bakes it how long? and does she peel it or just give it to them whole?

Is it mushy when baked? remember I feed 19 so mushy will end up looking like a food fight happens LOL

I assumed it would be rock hard like the butternut squash i go them a few months back. It was horrible to slice and when I cooked it it took forever to get the stain off.

This is more like a cucumber I could of served it raw but I cut up six of them and i am boiling them just a bit.

I just bake squash in the oven until it's really soft & then cut it open & scoop the 'meat' out.

yellow summer squash can be eaten raw or lightly steamed, it's got a lot of water, and cooks quickly

I eat it sliced like a cucumber in salads sometimes, and give it to my rats along with zucchini, sometimes but it's not their most favorite thing in the world

they don't tend to have a lot of flavor, like the winter squashes do.

you know what would be really fun? spaghetti squash!! you can cook that in the oven or microwave (just google recipes for times etc) and it comes out stringy like spaghetti

I love watching my kids eat spaghetti (cooked) but this would be better for them and just as fun to watch them slurp up the strings of squash.

some people eat it just like spaghetti with sauce on it, it's ok but I'd rather have the real thing myself

I 2nd petunia about the spaghetti squash! I also like giving them butternut squash which I've had rats that have loved it. But it's more of a winter squash I suppose...

Back