Yellow Kale and broccoli? WTH?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handmeafish

So I went to get veggies for the kiddos tonight, and My kale and broccoli had truned yellow! I'd only had them for a few days, I bought them on saturday. How nuts is that!
I threw it out, becuase it freaked me out, and I wasn't going to eat it, so neither were the kiddos. Any ideas on what it was? If it wasn't wilting how to I stop it from happening again?
Do I need to buy those fancy green veggie bags?

Was it organic? Those don't last too long.
I do buy the green veggie bags, it's insane how long you can store veggies in those suckers.

they were not organic, and I just had them in my little fridge. I don't have a "crisper" drawer in it, but there isn't really room in the community fridge for my ratty produce. If I can find them, i think i'm going to use the veggy bags. My mom had some and they were pretty awesome. I just hate throwing out produce, and it never lasts.. which is why i don't buy fresh stuff very often. When I got a steal of a deal on a mini fridge on CL I figured I'd give it a try... but dang, 3 days?
I did a bit of research, and the kale would not been ok, but the broccoli would have been... I guess its something to do with the photosynthesis. The kale turning had something to do with bacteria.
I've seen Kale turn black and wither which makes sense, but yellow? how strange.

I've seen yellow kale, when it's been way too long. lol
Veggies don't need a crisper necessarily. I'm betting these veggies were previously frozen at the grocery store.

Sorry to hijack... but I was wondering what green bags you guys have found success with?
I also love fresh veggies.. but they never keep long enough.

MMak said:
Sorry to hijack... but I was wondering what green bags you guys have found success with?
I also love fresh veggies.. but they never keep long enough.
I´m wondering about that too..
Broccoli turns yellow(here we say it´s "seeded"-directly translated) in a couple of days here :(

I find the crisper, or at least keeping the veggies in separate produce bags (the ones from the grocery store, not the fancy green ones) makes a huge difference. I have a crisper, but with all the veggies we buy (I'm vegetarian, as is my husband because he doesn't cook, and we have two big bunnies), I can barely fit a third of them in there. I know the stuff that stays out has to be used first or it will barely make it to my next trip to the store.

Eh, yellowed broccoli is edible as long it doesn't "smell funny". It's just indicating that it's getting a bit old. If your broccoli was completely yellowed, then throwing it away was probably for the better since there isn't any point in eating it. Most of its nutrients will have withered away by then.

I only buy enough veggies to last 2 days here, then I go buy more (I have 4 bunnies, 10 rats, and multiple other small furries that eat veggies, so I buy A LOT). I store mine in the crisper in produce bags (I find if you don't store them in some kind of bag, they will go bad fast).

I've been considering the veggie bags... they actually work? Are they reusable? How often do they need to be replaced, if they are?

I'll def. look into the veggie bag's, the ratties and me both want to start eating more healthy *LoL* (They already do eat healthy *LoL* but it's me *heheheh*)
But I'm a bit terrified by fruit's and veggie's cause they spoil so fast.

I just posted last night about a problem I had with a head of lettuce that was covered in brown spots. Littledevils said the spots were most likely russet spotting, so I did a bit of research on it. Russet spotting is caused by ethylene gas.

Ethylene gas "will permeate through produce cardboard shipping boxes, wood and even concrete walls.

While ethylene is invaluable due to its ability to initiate the ripening process in several fruits, it can also be very harmful to many fruits, vegetables, flowers, and plants by accelerating the aging process and decreasing the product quality and shelf life. The degree of damage depends upon the concentration of ethylene, length of exposure time, and product temperature. One of the following methods should be used to ensure that ethylene-sensitive produce is not exposed: a) Ethylene producing items (such as apples, avocados, bananas, melons, peaches, pears, and tomatoes) should be stored separately from ethylene-sensitive ones (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, leafy greens, lettuce, etc.). Also, ethylene is emitted by engines. Propane, diesel, and gasoline powered engines all produce ethylene in amounts large enough to cause damage to the ethylene-sensitive produce items mentioned;" ... (source: http://www.ethylenegas.com/ethylene.htm)

So, in addition to improper storage and handling of produce, exposure to ethylene gas from a combustion engine, like those found on a tractor or transport truck, can speed up the ripening and spoilage of produce well before it reaches the store.

Back