Wound on Abdomen, cut/hole?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplicity

I went on vacation for a week and left my two boys in the capable hands of my older sister.
I came back early last night (around midnight) when my sister called me and told me their's dried blood smeared all over their igloo and she can't tell which one is bleeding, she could only find one rat. She doesn't know when it happened, or how it happened.

Ripley is fine, Deacon has a cut/hole smaller then a dime on his lower abdomen. It had bled but from what I see it's scabbed a bit around the edges and their seems to be something coming out. My biggest worry is if the hairless bump coming out of the hole is his insides.
Looking him over more, he has a cut on his back that is completely scabbed over and healing and one of his toes is bloody.

I've cleaned up the wound on his belly with hydrogen peroxide as best as I could. Should I try an ointment like neosporine on him? It's not bleeding anymore but BOTH boys move very slow in the cage and Deacon is tucking himself away in the corner and not moving hardly at all. Ripley will go over and curl up next to him but neither moves like my boys normally do.

Deacon walks around, I've seen him walk to the food and water bottle nozzle and I managed to get both to eat some cooked potato and I just seen him drink a bit of water.

When I had both boys out and kept Ripley in my hoodie while I looked over Deacon, they both were back to walking around quickly and moving like normal.

I've checked over and then re-checked my cage 4 different times now. I have soft bedding (fleece pillowcase folded) in their instead of carefresh because I don't want the bedding to get into the wound. I took out the hammocks, their cardboard hiding boxes, basically everything but their igloo, food dish, and some fuzzy socks they snuggle up with. I don't want him to try to get up in a hammock and hurt himself more.

It's Sunday, no vet offices that take pocket critters in my area are open. I went as far as to talk to the emergency vet we use for our dogs and cats which is 4 hours away and they don't treat pocket pets.

I don't get paid until this coming Thursday but if this is an absolute desperate situation, I can talk to some friends about borrowing money tomorrow.

I just want opinions on what to do. Should I try neosporine or an antibiotic ointment like that, I've heard of giving a quarter of a children's bayer tablet for pain but I'm really hesitant on giving him anything like that, I don't want to make anything worse.

I've attached pictures of the wound so you guys have some sort of idea of what I'm talking about. I've heard of rats healing deep wounds all on their own but never heard if that's just cuts or with wounds like this. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any idea what could have caused it? No other animals have access to the room, the cage is covered in quarter inch mesh so nothing can get in or out. Their's no loose strings, nothing sharp in their with them. My boys have their play fights and squabbles but NEVER anything like this. I apologize for how long this is, I'm trying to stay calm and give all the details but it looks more like a novel at this point, so sorry!

20140907_154338.jpg

20140907_154402.jpg

20140907_154329.jpg

20140907_154405.jpg

You dont want to use any oinments on it or peroxide. A saline wash will be ok but that looks kinda nasty. His skin looks curled up on the right and I would worry about puncture wounds and if infection will set in.

These things happen and the best thing you can do is keep it clean by flushing it out with just warm water and saline like hopefloats advises. Keep doing that until it starts to heal on it's own which will be real fast. On ointments! That will cause the hole to close too soon and could trap infection inside.

It doesn't look like guts to me, it looks like eschar, which is basically a specific type of scab. (Look it up for more details). I would leave it as long as it doesn't start showing signs of splitting open.

Back