Wound example pictures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. That must have been one large tumor!

It actually wasn't so huge - it weighed 80g, and I never would have guessed that. It wasn't bothering him, but since he was already going under to have his 'nads removed, we figured might as well.

Someone pointed out in another thread that the incision is so large because my vet wanted to make sure they got clean margins and complete growth removal so the thing doesn't return. Okay by me.

WARNING: EXTRA GRAPHIC

A friend of mine had one rat attack another. Both were intact young males of about 5-6 months. I am taking care of him right now for her as his medical needs have become suddenly complicated. Basically the story is that 2 days ago there was blood spotted in the cage and I was texted this picture.

6750ba9ff6efaae7f4ea2a3e1771f566.jpg

I was told that it looked like he may have gotten stuck somewhere and named on his own tail. Then a few hours later it was noticed that he had a small puncture wound to his scrotum.

Fast forward 2 days later and he is on the table getting a neuter, a scrotal sac debridement and necrotic tissue removal, a colon reconstruction, and for icing on the cake some tail amputation to go with it.

f0de7fb2b4de57ddd12103daecfb2405.jpg

05590aea14c1a4b4f67e08981a84c82d.jpg

dba5ef550b6e184a36293521e096ccb9.jpg

bdfaa91faf0aa149f60ae1e57779a898.jpg

Turns out he had been bitten in just the right place to form an anal fissure and fistula, allowing excrement to leak directly into his scrotal sac. All of the above leading to sepsis and need for reconstruction. It was apparently a MESS in there. I have him on double abx and 2 pain medications. He has a drain in that will be removed in a couple of days. I hope it will be enough and he staves off worse or further infection.

Last edited:
Derrida did fine, though his owner never got an updated picture to me.

New pic:
One of our adopters just sent me this pic of a boy that had a neuter three days ago. I will be seeing her tomorrow to check it myself. We are taking care of meds and flushing.

WOUND DEHISCENCE

I know everyone here seems to be keen on flushing, but I wouldn't: I'd just go with antibiotics and a really clean cage. I'd be worried that things could get forced into the area, and that it may irritate things. After three days it shouldn't be infected yet.

Totally agree with you, but by the color and location I am worried about another possible fistula. I sent pics to the vet who works with our rescue and she asked us to f poo flush it. Frankly, I'm hoping that they will allow me to take him for the weekend either way.

What does this look like? Can't get him to the vet til Thursday unfortunately but I am thinking abscess that just needs compress and observation. Its not open or scabbed. Just purple in one spot, hard inside but can move it around.
2b8b1c18c49a12ae14bdcb407a5972d4.jpg

c36b87187d86fe79437d17c1c461962b.jpg

Looks like an abscess - definitely would try some warm compresses. The mark is either the original wound or a weak area that will drain soon.

Back