Would you risk this? ... I would!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh so cute....I have actually held and fed two full grown ones that were not decented...They had been raised by people and so were not firghtened....It is only when they are fightened that you have to watch out.....and they give you PLENTY of warning to back off.....

So adorable! I'd be afraid to risk it, though! when i was a kid i would wake up crying if a skunk sprayed outside, the smell bothered me so much.

I love watching them, though. The only time I encountered one face on I had just read that they could spray about 30', so i backed off VERRRY slowly and carefully.

I would definitely risk it!
Skunks are not immune to the scent of their own spray, so they are actually very reluctant to use it. Plus, it takes 10 days for their spray glands to replenish once used. They will try to flee first, then go through their warning dance, before they take the last resort of spraying. Mums with babies in tow are more likely to spray with less warning.
They are really very charming, and sweet, little creatures who just want to get on with their business and don't really care too much about people unless they are being harassed or threatened. I have been within maybe three or four feet of a skunk and he was not interested in me at all. I just spoke to him very softly so he wasn't startled (they have very poor eyesight and that is why they tend to walk very close to you if you are standing still) and he just looked at me and got back to hunting up worms and slugs and whatnot. I backed away slowly and he just wandered off.
I adore skunks.

lol i have risked it!
im not sure there is an animal cuter then a baby skunk (except maybe all baby animals LOL) and usually when they get mad they stamp their feet.

I would what a cutie.

I saw a family of skunks the other day walking down the side of the highway. It looked like there were two adults and two maybe three babies. It was so cute but all I could think was please stay on the grass and away from the road.

Oh my gosh, the cuteness!

I used to have a battery operated skunk toy that walked, and stopped to lift its tail and back end. I remember strategically placing it at the base of a tree behind some ferns and sending my friend to go look at the "skunk"... just as she got close all she could see was the tail lift up and she ran away screaming like a maniac... the trickster in me treasures that memory :giggle:

We had Our Rosie when I was a teenager. The vet used to come to us we had so many pets. I made the mistake of standing down wind when Rosie was being de scented and almost exfixiated on the stench when the scent bag broke!! :help:
Rosie 1984

Me holding baby Rosie and Charley who were raised together. (My mom loved the movie African Queen)

Rosie with Charley and Coffee

I've been chased by skunks twice while out walking my dog - which was not funny at the time, but is kind of humorous now! :D However, most of the skunks I've come across are very docile and as long as I don't make things difficult for them, they don't seem to worry about me. So yes, I would risk it too! :wink:

Would and have.

This summer at work we moved a big holding tank and it turned out to have a Mom and babies under it. The Mom took off, terrified, and left the babies behind. No way I was going to leave those babies to get squished by heavy equipment so I got a cat carrier and hearded them inside so I could deliver them to the spot in the fence that Mom ran through. Mom came and got them as soon as all the noise and traffic stopped.

I sure was tempted to keep one of them! The words "must resist" went through my mind more than once!

The one I was holding was going to be put down becuase the wildlife control had found him/her and lttermates with no mum and they were all too young so they were to be pts. There is no more than one "legal" rehabber in KW. It's real sad to know the fate of a baby and have to put him/her back into the garbage bin to go to it's death. :( I wish there were more pple like my mom's friend doing illegal rehabbing and with the help of legal rehabbers. She saves so many babies and never turns them into pets or anything, she's such a great woman!

At work yesterday one of the guys was cleaning out a bin, (making lots of noise mind you banging away in it) and when he went to pull some rocks out he put his hand right on to a skunk - who then proceeded to bite him! I'm sure the poor skunk was terrified, backed into a corner surrounded by the deafining sound of metal clanging. Anyway, animal control came and trapped it and cut it's head off to test it for rabies. I'm very sad about the situation because I'm sure it only bit because it was so scared - not because of rabies! I hate it when animals have to pay the ultimate price because of human activity. :sad3:

It's ironic you should mention that because I am starting of thinking about what pet I'll get when I move out and get my own place. I was thinking about getting a pet skunk but with all the crap surrounding people's views about them and the government it would be harder for me to own one here in Ontario than to have a pit bull (at least some people like pitties). I decided I'll just geta Neo and be happy. :shrug:

MumsyRat said:
At work yesterday one of the guys was cleaning out a bin, (making lots of noise mind you banging away in it) and when he went to pull some rocks out he put his hand right on to a skunk - who then proceeded to bite him! I'm sure the poor skunk was terrified, backed into a corner surrounded by the deafining sound of metal clanging. Anyway, animal control came and trapped it and cut it's head off to test it for rabies. I'm very sad about the situation because I'm sure it only bit because it was so scared - not because of rabies! I hate it when animals have to pay the ultimate price because of human activity. :sad3:
:gaah:

Back