Would it be safe to intro new rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khalirats

I've lost 2 of my 3 boys in the past fortnight. Milo was PTS on March 31st because his PT sucked the life out of him. Tyrion was PTS Thursday just gone after succumbing to his lifelong battle with resp issues. I've never lost 2 rats so close together, needless to say, i'm devastated and actually finding it quite hard to deal with.

Yet, i still have 1 boy left, my precious Dexter. He is fine at the moment and in general still seems his usual happy self, but i'm worried that loneliness will get to him. I'm around a lot during the day since i work from home, he's out with me all evening and sleeping in the same room at night. He's getting heaps of attention but i know it's just not the same as rat companionship. However, he has chronic resp issues since he was little, they are under control quite nicely with meds (baytril/doxy combo) which he is on for life, aside from that he is in good health, he's nice and plump, active and well in himself.

If i wanted to introduce new rats to him (something i have never done but i know there is a plethora of info on that here) could the resp issues be passed on? My vet seemed to think they could, but though all 3 of my boys had these issues, it never seemed to pass between them. They all had it when i got them, but obviously i do not want anything to be passed on to possible new additions.

Any thoughts please?

I'm so sorry for your losses. Not only are you grieving for them but now you need to worry about lonely Dexter. If Dexter is on abs now, I would introduce a couple of babies to him, after quarantining them. I believe it helps the grieving rat to intro new rats right away. How old is Dexter?

Dexter is 1year 5months, so you dont think he could pass on any issues? He usually has a 1 week break from the abs every 4 - 6 weeks, he started back on them 2 weeks ago now. If i can get some new youngsters i'd also have to do a quarantine in my own house since i dont have any friends/family close by who could keep them for me, would that be alright?

I thought I should add that Dexter still makes respy noises while on abs, it sounds nasal though and generally improves a bit when I give him allergy meds. His chest sounds clear.

I have found male babies near my home that are ready for forever homes right now but I don't want to go and look at them until I know its safe to intro them to Dexter without risking their health. Dexter is still okay in himself but I have noticed a slight change in him, usually after playtime he would go in the cage and settle down to sleep but at the moment he lays in the bed for ages just looking around and often wants to come back out with me.

If Dexter is on meds, I would think it's safe. Could you keep the babies in another part of the house for a couple of weeks just to be sure the babies can't give Dexter a worse illness?

Back