Would anyone debate this regarding diet with me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rilence

Apparently, I am sure we can call Lab blocks an equivalent to cats or dogs' kibbles. Whilst at that, it provides balanced nutrition for the respective animals. Lab block and kibbles falls under the same category to me - Processed pets food.

Whilst at that, I would like to know if there are any dogs or cats BARFers here? BARFers always claimed that nutrition are given rightfully over time, and not in one seating. I was wondering if it would've been the same for rats? To be receiving nutrition over times through different sources of fresher foods instead of processed food like the lab blocks as to the kibbles are to dogs and cats alike? Would they actually do better like what the BARFers state "Over time"?

I have tried BARFing my dogs but I don't see any improvement so I am still on kibbles and home cooked food. But there are various remarking results from various owners whom claimed their dogs are much better on BARF.

I am just wondering if it would be better if they're given fresh food, receiving their nutrition over times, or feeding processed food like lab blocks, which helps them receive all they need in one seating (Whilst minding about the processing part!).

hi
what is BARF?

I think we'd all prefer to give fresh foods over processed but at this time anyway the best way to meet the nutritional needs of our rats is to use a diet that's got every they need in it, even though the processing makes it less than ideal.

The thing that worries me with rats is that their lives are so short so even going a couple of months with a deficiency in a nutrient would be absolutely detrimental to their health. That's why I'm so reluctant to stop the blocks and try a home made diet. My own dogs are on a kibble and home made but I don't dare stop the kibble because i know they get their full nutrition that way.
A good place to start your research on rat nutrition is http://nom-ology.blogspot.ca, view the archived research. She lays it all out. Then you'll need to calculate your fresh foods to make sure they are getting everything needed, keeping it also low protein and low fat, no sugar and low salt.

Thanks Jorats, that sounds logical regarding their shorter lifespan.

Petunia - BARF = Bone And Raw Food, or logically Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

Back