worried about my girls spays!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neener

My girls are going in for their spays on March 16, and this I am so happy to be finally doing. I have two questions though. First of all, they are a year old, so I'm wondering if the spays will be as effective against preventing tumors as if they were done younger, and if they are at more risk for complications. The other thing I'm worried about is that although I've been working hard on taming them, and getting them used to human contact, I still cannot pick them up in my bare hands. They are very nervous when my hands come towards them, even if from underneath (I've had a few nips this way, two that have drawn blood). Now I'm scared that at the vet, they will have to be handled, and either the vet people will get bit, and/or my girls will be traumatised by the handling of them by strangers doing not so nice things to them. Is there a way that they can be sedated or something before they are handled by the vet?

I think the vet's and the vet techs will have experience and knowledge of handing possibly agressive rats. Just warn them before hand - so they can prepare themselves. You could discuss it with your vet before-hand if there is possible ways of keeping the stress down - for both animals and vets lol

Just let the vet know that they're a little agressive. As for the tumour question, I don't know. I have boys.

I have had females spayed at all ages and found them to all have benefited. I've had plenty done at around 1 year old and did just fine, same as a young one and never went on to have tumors either.
As for the slight aggressiveness, I'd warn the clinic and say they are very skittish and may bite in fear.
Your girls need extra socializing, have you tried the "down the shirt" trick?

I had my 2 Wildlings neutered and the clinic managed. Just warn them, that's all. They could probably gas them down in a container (less stress for all) and once they are out, do all they need to do.

1 year old is fine, and is very beneficial to their health. They are nice young adults so there should be no complications at all due to their age. I had a girl spayed at 2 years of age...she was done before I got her from the THS, and she lived many more months. Sadly the tumour they removed from her uterus was hemangiosarcoma (a very aggressive, fast spreading cancer) and it recurred. She would've lived a long time I think.

They have out time with me every day Jorats, and they climb all over me, and love to hang out in my clothes. They seem very comfortable with this. It's just when I try to pick them up they get away as quickly as possible, or get a little nippy. I use a box to take them out as this is the only way I can get them out. The closest I come to holding them is that when they climb on my arm, I lift it up, and get them next to my shoulders and face. They will explore a bit on my shoulders, and around my neck and face, and I, of course am very excited when I can do this! They also are fine with me petting them most of the time, as long as I approach in a certain way. It's just the picking up in hands part that's taking awhile. I think too that I am a little nervous because they have bitten a few times, and Taffy did get my son really good that one time. This makes me a little shy with them with my hands I think. I think though that maybe I will gain more confidence once I get used to Lunar who is so easily handled. Once I know how to handle a tame rat, hopefully I will feel more capable of handling Taffy and Sasha in the most positive way.

I had the same issue with Minnie. She HATED being picked up, she would squeak and fight to get away...So for a long time I did what you do, get her to get in a box or something to get her out...but this didn't make it any easier to pick her up.

What I found worked best for me at least is taking a towel or blanket or something, then I put it over her and lift her up. After doing that for a while she got used to it and she will let me pick her up with bare hands, sometimes we do have to back step a bit and use a towel again but she is sooo much better then she used to be. I mean she used to squeak even when I just touched her!!

Neener,
as others said, just warn the vet that they are skittish and might bite.
You do not want them to be sedated before surgery as that may cause problems with the anesetic.

Good luck with your girlies. All my very timid rats have forgiven me after their surgeries and your vet is use to handling bitey animals. If you're worried ask how your vet can gas them with the anaesthetic without handling them too much or freaking them out too much. Spey's definately improve the health and life span of rats. We've only had one mammary tumour in my rats since speying (including those speyed when older), prior to that we had something like 15 or more mammary tumours from 3 rats! To avoid a second vet visit for suture removal and the resulting stress, plus to avoid rats chewing stitches out, ask if your vet is okay about using internal sutures for the speys.

Back