Wonky rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkyPaws

Hi everyone! First post I know, but one of my squeakers is a bit..wonky.

I got them end of July from the better of our local pet shops.

Dora (he asks that you respect his name choice) started off as the smaller but has bulked up and is bouncy and agile and all 'woo it's outside time' when the door is opened.

Stripey is causing me concern. About 6 weeks ago he overstretched for a treat and fell about 16 inches from his ladder to a ramp, where he then did a bit of a bounce before landing and looking a bit dazed. He seemed ok, got up, climbed the bars and went back to his food.
This may or may not be related, I could just be hyper aware of it since his fall.
We now think that his eyesight is poor or gone, he sticks his nose out first, so we know that bit works ok.
His back legs also splay, a lot, regardless of where he is and he often looks a bit wobbly. (He does seem to have very large back feet compared to Dora and has done since I got them).
He's also skinny, so I'm putting more food (Supreme Science Selective) in, in the hope that Dora isn't just nicking it all.
I did manage to get hold of him (he dislikes being picked up, possibly because of his eyes) and examine his back legs, they seem to be ok and he didn't squeal at me.

The only other thing is I've just discovered the cat litter I use is actually pine pellets - they are breathing ok but I have spotted Stripey eating it a few times, usually pieces that are in their food stash corner. I'm going to change the litter to something else as soon as I possibly can. They also have a fruit/veggie/vitamin supplement in their water.
I'm trying to think of something they won't demolish to put on the ramps to give Stripey a bit more traction (he climbs the bars fine, but sometimes he likes to use the ramps and being a bit slower than Dora they become more of a slide.)

Is this a sign of a bigger problem or is he just a little bit wonky?

Can you post a video? Ratties fall off their shelfs all the time. As for the ramps - you can use tube socks. You should be using a paper pellet in the liter boxes since anything that can clump will clump in their stomachs when wet (when they eat it). They should be on a block diet such as oxbow and not a mix. Sorry that is all I can answer for now.

EDIT: I cannot speak for everyone, but all my boys (17) use the ramps as slides the majority of the time...

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused about the leg bit...
But all rats have really terrible eyesight, especially ones with red eyes.

You also should not be putting anything in their water. Rats do not need supplements if you feed a good block with fresh fruits and veggies daily. (if you aren't feeding fresh food you should supplement with it, might help your boy gain some weight)
If you put things in their water, they can sense it and end up not drinking the water anymore.

I'm pretty darn sure the only acceptable cat litters for rats are yesterday's news and the petco version... it's just pelleted paper.

Haha none of my rats have actually ever slid down their ladders. But I leave them uncovered and tend to use stuff for them to climb anyways. They'll probably focus less on ramp covers as far as chewing goes though, those bars underneath should deter them I imagine. Just do something cheap like dpsch said - a sock (or maybe an old shirt you could cut and re-sew?)

They'll probably focus less on ramp covers as far as chewing goes though, those bars underneath should deter them I imagine. Just do something cheap like dpsch said - a sock (or maybe an old shirt you could cut and re-sew?)

I have boys that will chew the covers right off the ramps....

Oops I wrote out a reply last night but didn't hit submit, whoops.

I'm going to get some paper pellet litter stuff as soon as, provided I can get some locally.
The water additive thingy seems to mostly be beetroot judging by the colour, Dora likes it (not sure about Stripey actually)
Stripey is white and grey, black eyes not albino (forgot to say that! Dora is black with a tiny bit of white.)

I honestly don't know how old they are, I just know they've grown a bit since I got them. 4 months at the youngest?

Their food (as mentioned above) is a block/pellet - as a previous bunny owner I won't feed any animal mixes unless they are *spectacularly* fussy and really do refuse to eat anything else.

The leg thing is hard to explain properly, I'll try to get a video. He just seems very wobbly and unstable and I guess in a human it'd be like being bowlegged perhaps? Or rickets? They don't go out at the hip, as such, more the knee? Outward turning feet? Watching him this morning (I only really have Dora to compare him to) I realised not only are his back feet massive, his toes are really long as well.

Now fairly sure he is not so good on the eyes, but his sniffer seems to be up to scratch so that's ok. He's scoffing down the veggies I gave them for breakfast.

Been to the vets. He has cerebellar hypoplasia, or something very similar that's not fixable. It's now a case of seeing how he manages, or if he deteriorates.

It's common for rats to develop a pituitary tumor, so I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being the problem. Good luck to your little man!

I'm thinking of ways to make things a bit easier for him, more ramps etc.

I had to remove their hammock because they ate it so I washed it and repaired and finally put it back in and he was in it and snatchy and licky this morning! Think he was in a sulk about not having it.

What are peoples suggestions for what I can do? I'll add in some extra ledges etc and lower the ramp angle if I can get hold of ones that fit.

It's important to monitor his weight. If it's a mobility problem, then his weight won't really be affected except for the normal loss as they get older. If it's a PT, then as they have problems eating the weight can come off quickly and dramatically. The first thing that tipped me off that my girl Dixie had a problem was that she looked skinny. When I weighed her she had lost 70g!
My oldies that had mobility issues still liked to drag themselves around up and down ramps, so as long as they are lowered, covered and there are no high areas to fall from, he should be good.
Oh, and make sure there is food and water on several levels.

Back