Wish us luck!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He didn't make a bad choice of meds anyway with what he had available. I had that prescribed for a couple kids many years ago and it cured them with no side effects (one stayed with a head tilt but that could happen with any drug)
I'm guessing it was the med-de-jour at one time but then came baytril & doxy... As we all know antibiotics lose effectiveness as immunities are built up not just individually but in an entire population so they find new ones. Doesn't mean the old ones are not just as effective for individuals, just that there are more chances of an individual having resistance, so the newer one is more likely to work for a bigger percentage?

So he's green but willing to do his research? You could point him here:
http://ratguide.com/health/
and here:
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm
and maybe other's have some good sites?
If you can get him to take an interest in ratties then you have struck gold!
All vets want to be the best! As Jo points out - textbook learning is one thing, but actual hands-on experience increases the interest and the knowledge.

As long as he truly shows an interest in ratties. Cause if he's not experienced you run the risk of him doing his honest best but learning on your kids. I trusted a vet who acted knowledgeable but StevieJoe died after a neuter. Vet convinced me it was a fluke physical problem with StevieJoe. Then Alfred went to him for neuter, I found out when I picked him up that the vet 'tried' doing it a different way. Had trouble finding the right parts, so he had to make a second cut to get to it. He cut my boy up. It took 2 months, another operation, and a lot of painful flushings for Alfred to recover enough to eat anything but Ensure..
I won't ever go back to that vet. :tearful:

I believe he meant well but was inexperienced. He killed the 1st kid and tried a different tack wih the 2nd.... maybe he's really good at neutering rats now cause of his experience on my boys. They have to learn somewhere.

Before you take a kid to him ask here for online references to info sites about whatever the problem is. I think most people that encounter a problem research it and save links or notes of the best info they find? Or can tell you what their vet found and prescribed that worked or didn't.

If you decide this guy will do his research then you have to help him for your kid's sake. Hell, tell him that he's gonna have a whole ratsite helping him to become the premiere rattie-vet in your province if he's willing to listen to experience..

Fidget, that must have been an awful experience with your vet. :(
I am going to be cautious with this guy, and I'll probably only deal with him for respitory issues at first, beacuse I can take everyone in at the same time if I need to, and only get charged for one office visit. So I could take them all in for a checkup and be charged $37.
At my other vet, they charge $53 for an exam per rat, and then its $30 for the antibiotics, so thats over $80 per rat if medicine is needed, and $370 if I wanted to take them all in just for a checkup They are experienced in neuters or other serious problems and I will most likely stick with them for those types of things.
If my new vet is willing to learn, which I think he is, then I can take my rats there for respitory treatment and save myself up to $330 per visit (in the event I would have to take all seven in at the same time for a checkup). As long as he can diagnose properly, suppy the medicine my rats need, and be willing to learn, it'll be a good situation.

Oliver is already sounding much better. :D His lungs are quiet this morning, a big change from yesterday. And he does love his medicine, its so cute. :heart:

Well I would say although inexperienced at least he was honest about his inexperience. Like with Fidget the worst thing is acting experienced and not really being that way. We just want honesty.

I'm so glad Oliver is sounding better :D
and he loves his meds? For that he gets a double dose of :kisses: :kisses: Actually, he gets a double dose just for being so cute, this :kisses: is for loving his meds!

So glad that Oliver is doing better. I have not heard of any problem with Chorpalm causing suppression of white cell production in rats; it's a rare side effect in humans.

Sounds like just the right thing for your little guy, and I would not hesitate to use it with my girls if they had an infection that needed a deep-penetraing antibiotic or if they needed an alternative myco drug.

Thank you so much.
That's good to hear!
I'm so thankful for reassurance of using this drug! It sounded really scary when I was reading about it. "Very toxic, use with caution, ect."

Oliver is still doing well so far! I haven't heard a peep from his lungs, and his eye porphyrin, which was really abundant, is starting to decrease.

Sweet Oliver, my big sweet tempered nekkid squish monster. Always the first to say hello, happy go lucky and gentle. I :heart: you!

Will do!

I'm a little afraid I may have spoken too soon. Yesterday evening when I went to give him his medicine, he was making the noises again. But it only lasted for a few minutes, and I kept an eye on him for a while but still didn't hear anything.
This morning he sounded fine though!

Silly little guy, he decided half way through his syringe Saturday evening that he doesn't like his medicine so much anymore.
So now I mix it in with a teaspoon of baby cereal and he gobbles it up.
The other boys want some too! I feel guilty when they all look so eager while Oliver gets to eat his cereal alone.
I gave them some fruit and fiber muffin to make up for it. :)

Back