Wish Us Luck!! Saving the Rats from Arabella's Old Life

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, what a great update and your girls are so sweet! I can see they are coming out of their shells and learning all about their new, wonderful home. I am sincerely so happy for them! :flowers3:

Last night was a momentous one for them. I have been having them out on the desk because I don't know if they might bolt and I don't want anyone going MIA, but last night they went onto the bed and it was a glorious success.

The beige girl looooves me, she thinks I am a wonderful fun toy to play with...she's sooo sweet.

The blue notched capped is more shy but she was playing a bit too, she hung out on the bed as well with me.

The agouti hoodie is brave and bouncy and loves to run and play almost as much as the beige girl, but once I went the bathroom, her wanderlust kicked in and she was on the floor exploring. Soon after that the agouti blaze was there too...Millie was everywhere. Poor old Laury was just standing there with all these young rats swarming her, trying to decide if she should get crotchety and take offense or follow those interesting new rats. LOL

Basically the little ladies swarmed me and her gently...sooo funny. They were all relatively easy to catch as well to put back, my other worry :D And of course they wanted right back out again :D

MILLIE - Himi female – older, has obviously had many litters, all stretched out and floppy, had just had a litter taken from her
Day 3 Jun.25/14 408
Day 5 Jun.27/14 411 3
Day 7 Jun.29/14

CONTROL agouti hoodie female – 8 mo?, has possibly had litters
Day 3 Jun.25/14 365 Total Gain
Day 5 Jun.27/14 366 1 IN HEAT
Day 7 Jun.29/14 384 18 (total gain - 19 g)...hmmm I shall watch this one just in case.

agouti blaze female – 8 mo?, has possibly had litters
Day 3 Jun.25/14 308
Day 5 Jun.27/14 317 9
Day 7 Jun.29/14 315 -2 (total gain - 7 g)

Beige female – 5 mo?, has possibly had litters
Day 3 Jun.25/14 336
Day 5 Jun.27/14 332 -4
Day 7 Jun.29/14 341 9 (total gain - 5 g)

CONTROL Blue notch cap – 5 mo?, went into HEAT on Day 2, using as CONTROL
Day 3 Jun.25/14 315
Day 5 Jun.27/14 324 9
Day 7 Jun.29/14 323 -1 (total gain - 8 g)

That's so great you have taken them in!
I guess they are all getting along in the same cage together? It sounds like you are going to have another sweet group of girls on your hands. :)
Is it wrong to be glad of another person's financial misfortune which led to these rats being released from their prison?

Beige girl went into Extreme Heat on the evening of June 30th...she was sooo funny! She kept running to me and I would scratch her hips and she would practically have convulsions and hop hop away, then run back. If I didn't pay her attention she would lick me to remind me. LOL She's really really sweet!!

Millie has lost weight since she arrived (original weight was 408 grams) and she's settling at 403 grams for the past few days. She toddles on the wheel but when she's Out she's everywhere. She's gaining a lot of muscle tone and is very happy :) Her nipples have receded and she's not dragging anyone around anymore :D

Agouti blaze is the only one left who is still a possible. She's gained, and lost, gained and lost, and is sitting at 10 grams up from her very lean (almost skinny) arrival weight after 11 days here. She is a young girl who is growing as well so you have to factor that into it all. I will continue to weigh her just in case, but the big weight gains would start now.

It is so funny when some girls go into heat. My nakies are the first I have had that I didn't get spayed. They can be such teases. ;)
Okay, one left to pass the preggo wait - come on Miss AB!

It is so funny when some girls go into heat. My nakies are the first I have had that I didn't get spayed. They can be such teases. ;)
Okay, one left to pass the preggo wait - come on Miss AB!

Millie went into heat about 3 am last night, she was out and kept bouncing up to see me, a lot like the beige girl would. I would scratch her butt and she would run away (no vibrations or lordosis positions) but she would come right back. This morning I checked her vagina and it was more open than it should be...I would consider her IN HEAT.

To belay this good news, AB decided to gain 6 grams and is now 16 grams more than when she arrived 12 days ago. :doh:

The Keswick gals really astound me. By all rights they should be scared and unsocialized, but soon after these girls arrived they decided THIS is the Life and we are going to enjoy it :D They run TO me, they lick, they play...easy to pick up now. You could tell they weren't handled before by their reactions but they got over it quickly. The only one who is still a bit difficult is blue notch cap. :p

Open the cage door to say hi to agouti blaze and you get this...

Jul914Keswickgirls.jpg~original

Such a sweet girl...Millie in background :D

Jul914Keswickgirls2.jpg~original

as you can see no crazy weight gain. A normal pregnancy at this point would be 50-75 grams of weight gain, but as Joanne said, lets wait til after the due date for the party LOL. I have seen girlies tuck babies up inside of them...surprise!!!!

It's too bad that rats with such a great temperament (unlike many others) were used as feeders. Such a waste...
They must be very bright girls, realizing quickly that they have reached rattie paradise. :)

Fantastic news! And these girls are just so precious...so hungry for love and boy are they getting it! Ratty paradise indeed! I agree that it is unimaginable to think of intelligent, loving and sweet creatures being used as FOOD for snakes. Just look at those bright, loving eyes...

Very quickly, my wonderful little character Millie was found gone last night. She had suddenly become ill but seemed to be doing better yesterday morning, but sadly her poor over-bred body wasn't strong enough and she left us. All her girls were very subdued last night as was I. :( She is my 5th loss since I lost my internet so I am behind on memorials :(

Back