Wire bottoms on my Rat Cage...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

I have a rat cage very similar to a Martins and it can hold up to 4 rats. It has one full level and 2 smaller ones. I have made a couple sets of fleece fabric things to cover it but my rats "rip" them off and shove them in there hammock...not to mension they pee on them so they start to smell in about 2 days :roll: :giggle: I I want to cover it in something but what? And how do I get them to stop peeing on the other levels. I think i will start litter training them but I dont know if that will work with pee too. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It's not exactly bad, but it does make us think that it would be uncomfortable, not sure how a rat truly feels about it.
Can you buy sticky tiles and line the bottom with them? You can pick some up at the dollar store.

square linolum tiles with peel off paper to reveal sticky backs.

I buy thick left over linolum and cut it to fit levels in cages ... I also cut dollar store dish drain trays to fit smaller levels and cable tie them on. They work great, easy to wipe off and easy to replace.

Rats will always urine mark but litter boxes help. I find my neutered and spayed rats do not mark as much as unaltered rats.

Plastic embroidery mesh is nice, too, and you can just cable tie it down. I have to go to wal-mart for that, though, augh.

Back