Winnie is acting... Strange?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tydin

This could be normal behavior, maybe not, so I thought I would check after looking around online (Google) hasn't really given me -ANY- answers.
My girl Winnie, has been acting rather strange ever since our other female Ripley came back after her op at the vets (She was spade)
Winnie was on her own for a couple days while we gave Rips some time to heal and a little extra fuss, and once Ripley was introduced back to a freshly cleaned cage so it felt a little more neutral, Winnie has been showing a great deal more dominance towards Rips.
Also I noticed strange nesting behavior coming from Winnie, and well as snatching food from Ripley.
Today, Winnie decided to pile up ALL the bedding and shedded nesting paper into one corner, near one of the tubs the girls like to sleep in, she is literally in the act still as I type this! Pushing all the bedding against the tub, and taking select pieces of bedding and dropping it into the tub, also adding pretty much every single toy she can physically move in there as well.
She has flipped over every igloo in the cage as well, taking the bedding from beneath each one. We give the girls out old socks too (you know, the ones with holes that magically appear in them) to use as bedding, and she has taken all of them.
As far as her actions towards Ripley go, she's been stealing food from her, and overly grooming her.
Are these symptoms anyone has heard of? Or is she, well, just being a bit of a dick? haha.
Either way, It gets me a little worried for both my girls sake!
Pleeeease, if you read this, post any of your thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
Many thanks in advance!

Winnie has a strong personality. Is she spayed as well or just Ripley?
It sounds pretty normal, all the things she's doing. Lots of rats build nests and over grooms their buddies and steal their food. I wouldn't worry about it for now. Keep watch to make sure Ripley is not losing weight.

To me, it sounds like Winnie is "acting out" because her friend Ripley is now different than she was before. I wonder if Winnie finds that Ripley smells different after her spay surgery? Just a hunch.

I recently had one of my rats build a HUGE nest. It was about 5 times larger than usual. She did this her first evening of living alone after her cage mate had to be euthanized. (Since then, she now has a new friend and they build normal-sized nests.)

As Jorats said she sounds fine.
I am sure that her behaviour will soon become more like her normal self
It is too bad that the girls were separated for a few days .... rats are not usually separated after surgery, etc
I am sure that they missed each other a great deal

Back