Will microwaving soil kill any pests?(digging box)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

I got some "natural" soil from home depot, supposedly without pesticides. If I microwave it, will any bugs that may have found their way in it die? Or should I freeze it? For how long?

Also, if I want some grasses and stuff to sprout in it, can I just pick some seeds out of my rat's old variety pack food and sprinkle it in there? I heard that most people use bird seed for that, but will my picked-out rat seeds work? :laugh4:

Wow umm..I'd try freezing it rather then microwaving (not relieable enough IMO), and as for the seed's I just dunno...hopefully someone else will come along with more answers for u!
Good luck!!

Another option in the future for you would be to try a reptile substrate called Eco-Earth. It's great for planting and has no chemicals at all and makes a great digging medium. It's made of coconut fiber that's turned into a soil. Here's a picture. It comes in expanding bricks and loose bagged soil

p-261602-vendor-repttile.jpg

The best thing to do with the dirt is to take a sample in a sandwich container and place it somewhere dark and moist for a week or so. If anything is growing in it (ex fungus) then it's completely contaminated. If there's nothing then you should freeze the soil for a couple days and you should be good to go

So if it grows fungus it's bad? I'll try that. But wouldn't it just naturally grow in a dark or moist place?

Hmm... all right, I'll try it. Do you guys have digging boxes? Any problem with them?
My old rats used to eat the soil...

Back