Wierd Sounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinkylolaandtassy

I have 3 rats and 2 of them are making odd sounds its like snuffling grunting sound but its only sometimes what could this be.
I have heard that bruxing is an odd sound could it be that.
Also how fast is there heart supposed to go.
So paranoid dont want my babies to die plus my parents are all like you shouldn't take them to the vet its a waste of money
Any answers to the questions would be very helpful and any further info as well

Snuffling and grunting sounds are usually from congestion. Are your rats sneezing, or showing reddish discharge around their noses/eyes? How old are they?

Upper respiratory problems can be fairly common in rats, and usually need to be treated with antibiotics.

What kind of bedding are you using? Things like cedar and pine are toxic and can quickly cause resp issues.

RatGuide lists a rat's heart beats per minute at anywhere from 71-146. Pretty fast, but that's normal.

Not trying to scare you, but resp issues are one of the first things we consider when someone reports snuffling sounds. Any chance you can take a video of them and capture the sound?

No there are no signs of reddish,brown discharge from either eyes or nose and they don't seem to be sneezing.
They are like 5 months old.
I thought they might have URI (upper respiratory infection) but i was hoping not because my parents are very against me going to the vet with them
I am using newspaper as bedding i know that cedar and pine can be toxic.
I can put up a video
Do you know any good small animal vets in maple ridge I had one for my guinea pigs that i used to go to but she moved so now i no longer have one and i am not comfortable taking them just anywhere i want the best but it would be better if it was cheaper because of my parents

Back