Why I haven't been around...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M0onkist

It certain isn't the fault of anyone here!

To be honest, I've been dealing with some massive personal health issues - and I'll be honest about them.

It seems like my Dad's known for years that Singulair can, in 1 in 1000 cases, cause mental problems among other things. But he didn't know I was taking it.

Mom's known I've been taking it since I started (fall of '06), but had no idea of these side effects.

Finally, anyway, the two wires connected, and Mom realized that literally 3 days after starting Singulair, I started behaving oddly back then. Since then, as most of you know, I've had a contentious (to say the least) relationship with my parents. Things haven't been pretty, and I've wound up at the ER of the mental hospital 3 times.

I've since stopped Singulair, and it's been a roller coaster getting off it - I'm basically, according to my psychiatrist, a rapidly cycling bipolar-due-to-a-medication case. And by rapidly, I mean I'd go from manic to depressed to manic to depressed about 3-4 times a day (during the worst of it). Now I'm down to one roller-coaster of angry-weepy-exhausted a day, or thereabouts. So, progress!

Thankfully the university's been great in helping me fix the screwups I've had with my courses (I've had to miss a couple of term tests because of utter inability to write them, or remember anything, etc.), and my parents have welcomed me back with open arms. That's literally how it's felt - like I've been gone for years, and just got back home. I can't stop hugging them enough (or crying spontaneously when they do nice things for me).

So me not being here right now is really a function of having a bit of a manic brain and not being able to concentrate on one thing at a time, or to be able to sit down at a computer long enough to do more than check my e-mail or whatever. Can't say that it'll immediately improve either, but I'll at least come on to check how things are going at the 'Shack more often. If you do want to reach me, best way to do it is to respond to one of my threads, or to PM me (because those will be most obvious to me that someone's trying to reach me).

My AIM/MSN/YIM is mostly off, again due to inability to focus on one thing at a time or on one thing for more than like 10 seconds.

But I just want you guys and gals to know that I love you all, and that I'll be back as soon as my brain starts reverting to normalcy!

[left:nff8g3tx]:pillred:[/left:nff8g3tx] [center:nff8g3tx]:pillred:[/center:nff8g3tx] [right:nff8g3tx]:pillred:[/right:nff8g3tx]

N.B.: If you or anyone you love is on Singulair (which is normally a medication that people take orally to help control asthma related symptoms), PLEASE have them check the NEW updated medical spec-warning sheet (if it is any older than this summer, it's out of date, and have them tell the pharmacist to get the NEW one).

Welcome back. I am horrified to hear that you have been through all that because of your meds. I had heard that it could have those effects in kids, but it is hard to get honest info about medications.

Take good care of yourself!

Do you know if this also applies to other Asthma Drugs such as Advair. Reading your post is hitting to close to home.

Wow that's crazy that an asthma inhaler did that too you wow! Something that is supposed to help turns into something horrible. It's great they figured out what was going on! Keep up the good work in your progress :hugs:

Oh dear... M0onkist, what a hard time for you. I hope things get better.
My hubby and I have been on Singulair for several years now, fortunately, no side effects for us.

Both my daughter and I have taken Singulair for years with no side effects.
I do hope you get to feeling like your old self soon *hugs*

Do you know if this also applies to other Asthma Drugs such as Advair. Reading your post is hitting to close to home

I have not heard anything relating to Advair, but what I do know is that Advair was never tested long term for side effects. I took the highest dose made for five years, twice a day. It gave me severe heart palpatations and I had to switch to another controller medication.

So sorry to hear you've been going through such hell. I had a very bad reaction to Prednisone, that really messed up my life. You're not alone. Good luck and God bless.

Chance and Mr. Honeycomb have been my sweet salvations - they don't care when I burst into tears for no reason or get wet from it.

They're very interested right now in a large box that's opposite their cage in our living room (it holds a CN! But I have to get one of the walls changed because it's a bit warped - the warranty is good though so I doubt it'll be a problem).

Singulair isn't an inhaler - it's actually an oral medication (a pill) that you swallow. It's supposed to affect leukotrienes or some fancy name like that (cells that produce mucus, which would then lead to asthma). And Jo, I totally hear you on it working for you - it controlled my asthma beautifully all this time. Unfortunately I happen to be the 1 in 1000 who goes kinda nutso-crazy from taking it. I know we would have detected and gotten rid of it earlier, but fall of '06 was a time when I was starting a whole bunch of medications to help with the fibromyalgia, so sorting out one individual reaction was almost impossible. :(

Thank you all for your well wishes! ::extra hugs to everyone!::

Aw Sweetie, that's just horrible, I'm glad you are getting it worked out. :hugs: We love you sweetie.

I understand how horrible that must be! I was put on amitryptaline (spelling) for pain a few years back, turns out I have restless Leg syndrome (as well as a severe vitamin D deficiency) that was causing my pain and my new doctor told me that amitryptaline makes people with restless leg syndrome a little looney! and its true, while I was on it I was depressed, then really happy, all over the place. Lucky for me I knew that it was causing my mood changes and got off of it before it had any long term effects. I can't imagine how relieved you must be to know what was causing your problems and to know that they won't last forever.

Latest posts

Back