Why do they sleep in colours and in a water bowl?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnaG

I have 10 male rats who live together and they have some behaviours that I’m wondering if are normal and why they do it.

When they sleep, they sleep in colours. My beiges sleep together, my blacks sleep together and my white and blacks/greys sleep together. They have all been together since they were a few weeks old and have been doing this since I brought them home.

The one group always sleeps in one of the water bowls. Some of them hang out or can only fit their face in but they still do it. In the morning that bowl is empty.

When I put fresh water in the cage they get into the bowls and bathe themselves or just stand in it. Should I discourage this by getting smaller bowls or is it okay? Will they get sick from being wet/cold?

Mine do that too! I used to joke they were racist cause the beiges woudl be cuddles adn that left poor dante the black boy all alone. but he cuddles with them sometimes so it isnt soemthignt hey always do.

I agree with mamarat picture would be so cute of all those ratties in the bowl!
I wouldn't discourage any of this behavior obviously they enjoy sleeping in groups and as for the wet ratties as long as your room is a nice comfortable temperature and they fleece or old towels in the cage to dry off quickly they should be fine I imagine.

It just sounds adorable. I agree with everyone else - pictures please!

However, I do suggest getting a standard small animal water bottle so they always have clean water available. I would definitely keep the other bowls of water in there, though, sounds like they enjoy it a lot. Oh, and having a larger pan of water in the play area would most likely be fun for them to play in! Totally jealous because my rats hate water :)

That sounds so cute. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes my white and beige rat sleep together while my two brown girls sleep together. It always makes me smile.

definitely have a water bottle as back up and change the water frequently! my girls LOVE to bathe in their water, so I end up changing it a couple times a day. partly because they also tip it over/pee in it while bathing. so dainty :p (it's also hysterical because put them near a big bowl of water...freak out! their cage water bowls? bathing pool. they perch on the edges and groom)

unless the room is terribly cold, I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to dry off fairly fast. so there shouldn't be a ton of risks. plus, if they enjoy it, it's an awesome thing to keep in their cage for their happiness!

your rats sound adorable :D

Back