Why do rats put their toys in their food dish?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

I'm sure my rats aren't the only ones constantly doing this -

My rats are always storing their toys in their food dishes, I'm always having to dig their toys out of their food dish so they can get to their food. I just don't understand why they choose to carry their balls over to the dish and drop them in, it's really cute but I just cant wrap my head around it. And when I say their toys I mean those plastic jingle balls you can buy for cats at the dollar store. I'm not sure if they are doing this in attempts of hiding their food?

Anyone have any clue why they do this? Both my lady group and gent group do it. The odd time they will carry them to the litter box but its usually the food dishes.

Just keeping their room tidy. :laugh4: Mine do that also, they will remove their toys when they want to eat. Nothing to worry about.

eagle said:
Just keeping their room tidy. :laugh4: Mine do that also, they will remove their toys when they want to eat. Nothing to worry about.

That's what my fiance was saying - we have a baby on the way and were joking around how the rats will have to give the baby a little one-on-one about putting toys away.

stephanief987 said:
eagle said:

That's what my fiance was saying - we have a baby on the way and were joking around how the rats will have to give the baby a little one-on-one about putting toys away.
:nod:

It's too funny to watch. My girls put them in the food dishes but my boys put them in the litter box. One of my males also has a habit of sleeping in his litter box :doh: can't figure that one out considering that's where he does his business. He just pushes the poops to one end and sleeps in the other. Love them all for they are all so different though. But yeah the toys do end up in the food or litter box at my house also! :)

jorats said:
Mine do that too but not all of them. I think they are hiding or storing their food.

I think its more of a hiding instinct, i would offer them chocolate drops and once they dont want anymore, they would grab a mouthful of blanket and cover my hand up.

Back