Who's good with figuring medicine dosages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

For baytril here:
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... aytril.php

I don't dare try to figure out these varying concentrations & dosages.
I have 2 different baytrils here. One is 22.7 mg/ml, and the other my vet told me is 50 mg/ml.
She weighs 252.3 grams.
She's about 4 months and 3 weeks old, but she's very ill and has been for quite a while in spite of the meds my vet has prescribed.

What would be the recommended dosage of each concentration for her according to this chart?

The 22.7ml would be a dose of 0.1ml and the 50ml should be a dose of .05ml. That's using the higher end of the dosing. Give her that twice a day.

I so hope this helps.

Woohoo...Jo to the rescue!!
horsey.gif

So the 22.7 would be .1 ml twice a day, and the 50mg/ml would be .05 twice a day?
I kind of figured my vet might be going too low on the dosage, she has her on .03 ml of the 50mg/ml just once a day (along with the erythromycin) - but I believe she is always prescribing baytril too low, didn't matter til now tho.

Summer is not doing well. 8 1/2 days after starting erythromycin her breathing is still noisy (tho not as loud) practically all the time. She lacks energy and she has spells where she's in obvious distress, she'll run to me or her cage, then sit still, her breathing labored and punctuated with periodic wet-sounding clicks, periodically she will take a deep breath in and out and and it's almost like a sqeeze-toy sound. Then back to the labored breathing. Even without the very noisy 'attacks' I feel she's just getting worse & worse, and I haven't misses a single med dose. I get the feeling she's drowning :cry:

I don't think she's gonna make it like this, and lord forgive me I've considered putting her down if this doesn't ease up for her rather than see her in such constant distress so young. It's killing me to see her suffer this every day. My heart breaks for her, my stress level is over the moon because I can't do anything for her but hold her & cry.

I am going to try the proper rat-recommed baytril dosage rather than the vet's dosage, I think it's the only chance she has to get better. She can't lcontinue in such air deprived distress.

Thankyou so much Jo!

Should I continue the erythromycin as well or just the upped baytril? What would be your opinions? I guess I just don't trust my vet to handle this anymore..

jorats said:
Oh Fidget, give her longer, keep her on doxy and Baytril and do it for a couple of months still. She may pick up. :(

Her vet won't give her doxy. :( Which is ridiculous.

I would continue on with the erythromycin too.

Poor poor Summer. My heart is with you. She is so young... but I have been there as well. I have put down a very young rat who got bad pneumonia. And I truly believe it was the best thing because she was suffering. I wouldn't consider putting her to sleep unless she stops eating and drinking and seems unhappy with life, though.

I will keep praying Summer will pull through for you. Get well, Summer!!

I believe Jo meant the erythromycin, not doxy.

If Summer was getting too low of a dose, it wouldn't have made a huge improvement by now. You did say she is somewhat less noisy, though. With the dosage of Baytril Jo gave you, Summer should start improving more. Medications take time to do their thing.

Yeah, the last 2 comments - that's what I was thinking - that the dose was keeping her somewhat stable thru all 3 med sessions so far, but not enough to cure and she was gradually declining.
I sure can't rely on my vet for this one - I'm so glad I have you all, I think we will pull her thru!
I don't know what I'll do when I run out of baytril - maybe tell the vet I tipped the bottle over :wink:

I thought of putting her down if she continues suffering like she is. But you can bet I wouldn't do it as long as there's even a ray of hope that she has a better future. I have some hope now I know the vet was underprescribing. She was giving .03 ml of baytril once a day.

Between the prayers & hopes & proper med dosage we'll all get little Summer better guys! Thankyou!! :grouphug:

Back