Who Should Live With Who?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla

I currently have my colony split into three main groups. One has 9 females, one has 6 females, and the last has 5 males. (I also have a lone male atm, but he is sick so I'm not sure if I'll be putting him with my rats any time soon :( )

Anyways, there are rats in each group that are bonded, while others are not. I need to split them as evenly as possible between two double CN cages. I am willing to have the CNs separated so I have four separate groups if necessay, but I also don't want to split up bonded pairs/ groups.

I have three mother daughter pairs in the group of nine which I would prefer not to split, but at times I think that they may be happier split by age and not relation.
The mother/ daughter pairs are:
Ginny and Lilly
Rhea and Naida
Skye and Aidan

The last two pairs are also related, with Skye most likely being Rhea's daughter, making a fourth mother/ daughter pair.
The rest of the girls in this group are:
Kelsey and Chloe- sisters
Willow- came in alone, but was seeming to bond with Zelda before I had to remove Zelda from the group because of Lilly

The boy group consists a father and sons trio, which are from the Skye/ Rhea family. (the whole family has 7 members, but the males and females were separated until all the neuters were done and they have only spent some out time together since the neuters) They are:
Melvin, Justin and Danny

The other two boys in the boy group are:
Fletcher and Ezra- lived together before comming here and bonded/ related

The other girl group has six girls: (all of them are very small for their ages except Zelda)
Iris
Helia and Phoebe -came together
Zelda, Trinity and Opal -possibly related and Zelda may be Opal's mother

I was thinking that the easiest thing to do may be to keep the group of nine girls in one double and have the other 11 (5+6) in the other double. The lone male, Buddy could join the group of 9 if he gets well enough to do so. This would require less into time and stress for all involved, but I don't want anyone to be lonely or sad without their favourite buddies. My males are also very big babies and are intimidated by the older and larger females, while the smaller females adore the boys.

Any suggestions before I go ahead with this plan? I think this is the best solution, but I'm also a little sad that the Skye, Rhea, Melvin family will not be living together. (the cages are side by side though, so they can still visit and have out time together)

I was also thinking of trying Zelda back with the big girls (and her buddy Willow) now that she is healed from her tumour removal surgery. Perhaps Lilly was picking on her to try and help her get rid of her lump? I dunno...
This would even out the cages at 10 each, giving the boys more space, although the girls they'd live with are all tiny anyways, so they shouldn't feel cramped with 11 in a double if necessary.

Another option is to start from scratch and split them by age and bonds, but I'm not sure that is the best option...

Can you leave the 9 girls together and put the 6 girls with the 5 boys? Then you don't have to worry about stressing everyone out.

That was my preferred option. Thanks for your input. It helps just in case I didn't think of something that someone else would. I'm going to leave the group of nine as is, well other than moving to their new cage, and the boys and small girls will have a few more intros while we wait for the defective piece of the second cage to be replaced. By then they should be ready to move in together.

I'm just hanging hammocks, etc in the first double CN now. The second is built, except for one defective side panel, so I'm going to get it as ready as possible so I just have to make the cage switch when we get that side panel. :wink2:

Maple said:
Have you considered joining the CN's together and having them all live together.

Yes, but as far as I know that would leave me without a stand or wheels to move it for cleaning underneath it. :sick2: Plus, if things don't work out it'd be a hassle to take it all apart again. (It had to be smashed together. Plus Lilly and Kelsey have shown they like to be trouble makers/ bullies during intros/ out time with the boys and even the smaller girls)

At least they'll all be able to have their out time together as long as I keep an eye on those trouble makers. :nod:

CNs are so easy to attach together. You will not lose your stand. You simply don't put the sides up. Then tie wrap them together. My sister had her two CNs together for awhile stands and all... very nice. :cheeky:

jorats said:
CNs are so easy to attach together. You will not lose your stand. You simply don't put the sides up. Then tie wrap them together. My sister had her two CNs together for awhile stands and all... very nice. :cheeky:

Hmmm...........I would love to have one big happy rat family....and since the part that I need to get replaced is one of the side panels this could be an option. I could always separate into two horizontal cages if necessary and still have stands and wheels. :thumbup: In theory this sounds like a great idea.
How many rats did your sister have in the two doubles that were attached, and what made her separate them later?

You can also do a 3/4 cage... separate one half CN and then keep the other three parts connected, in an L shape. That might be a good way to separate any "difficult" ones.

lj said:
Can you leave the 9 girls together and put the 6 girls with the 5 boys? Then you don't have to worry about stressing everyone out.

I was thinking this as well. That is if the big happy family doesn't work out...
But my thought was since girls are much smaller than boys, perhaps 2-3 of the 6 girls group could go with the 9 girls in 1 CN. I know from experience 11 rats in one CN can be a tad messy, esp with boys. So if you had the group of 9 in one with 2 from the 6er group, then you have 11 GIRLS in one CN. Then the 5 boys and 4 other girls can live in the other CN. The only reason I thought of this is because when you listed you group of 6 girls you did not say anyone was too deeply bonded...

But as mentioned it would be AWESOME to have everyone living together!!!

Moon said:
You can also do a 3/4 cage... separate one half CN and then keep the other three parts connected, in an L shape. That might be a good way to separate any "difficult" ones.

My sister did that when she only had the 3 little girls and the bigger crew. It worked out great too.

Back