Whisker-twitch from SE PA

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

Hi, I'm Jenn... a mom of 3 (one girl, 2 boys), and artist working part time at a custom wedding cake topper company. I have a small side business of pet and people portraits, mainly in pencil. I love the Lord with all my heart, and try to bring joy to others in all I do. Last, but by no means least... I'm an animal lover! Right now, we have a sweet and beautiful cat named Chaucer who is mooch and a charmer! Love him so! :heart:

Our 8 yr old daughter (the oldest) is working HARD to earn the privilage to adopt 2 pet rats. She is taking her repsonsibility so seriously, and I'm so proud. She'll be rescuing 2 girls that we'll pick up when her "Ultimate Rodent Challenge" is complete. (She has a star chart of ten daily responsibilities that she'll finish just days before Christmas. Good timing, no? :) )

In preparation for our new fuzzy family, we've been reading/researching and watching lots of YouTube. Thanks for posting such great videos, Joanne! We'll be getting the litter pans, hides, and excersize wheel over the next few weeks. I build cat climbers to sell, and I think she and I will put one together for her rats. I've made a cat climber with a "castle" as the main part... I think it would be so fun to make a rat castle!

I had 2 pet rats when I was in jr. high and I knew how great they were! With all of this preparation, I'm getting excited, too, and got my name on a waiting list for 2 Russian blue rexes with a local breeder here close to Phili... http://www.BlueHeavenRattery.com. They are absolutely fabulous!

'K, better get done! Just looking forward so much to getting our new babies and meeting all of you in the rat-lovin' family!

Happy Thanksgiving!
~Jenn

Welcome to the Rat Shack!

It's so refreshing to see parents getting just as involved in their kids' pets. I also think it's great you are making her work towards getting her two rats, it should make her appreciate them even more. I've always said that rats and all pets are a family affair.

You are going to have to share your pics of this rat castle. I'm already drooling and it's not even made yet. :giggle:

Yeah! I know! I still have a kitty castle to build for a friend of mine! *sigh* So much to do, so little time! (Just ask dh... I have projects going all the time!) I have picture of the first kitty castle, but I'm gonna have to figure out how to upload it... don't have all my pics on photobucket. Guess I'll need to do that! :D

Welcome! :tracks: :welcome4: :tracks:
And yes it is great to see a parent so involved and making their child work for something they really want especially something as valueable as a ratty! It is so sad how often parents visit a petstore with their kids and buy them whatever animal it is they beg for on a whim and know nothing about the proper care or appropriate habitat for it. After the pet loses its luster they are forgotten..... :(
And a ratty castle....hmmm....you may have a business with that concept here! :giggle:

Huh...
Your 8 year old must be pretty advanced in responsibility.
It took me 35 years to be able to consider caring for a furry.

Back