Which lab block would you recommend?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which lab block would you recommend for two adult females?

• Harlan 2014

• Harlan 2016

• Harlan 2018

• Oxbow

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

trihkal

I have two females who will be 15 months on the 11 of February. I have been using Harlan 2014 but now I'm getting conflicting information on which lab block is best. Many of you have more experience and knowledge regarding rat care than I do so I thought I'd make a poll and find out what you guys recommend.

I voted for HT 2018, but I suppose I am a bit biased. That is what I have been feeding all my rats for quite awhile now and have had very good results. I've had all ages, from babies to oldies and all they're staple diets were 2018 lab blocks. Pregnant mothers and babies were supplemented with extra foods high in protein, calories, and vitamins. Adults were given veggies, fruit (in moderation), and a variety of other healthy foods/treats. I free feed--I use hoppers attached to the cage. I have not had any issues with adults becoming overweight or with males developing skin issues which I have heard can happen if their diet is too high in protein.

Because Trihkal's rats are females and still pretty young I am going to assume they are pretty active and energetic and would do well on HT 2018. If she did not feel comfortable with 18%, then HT 2016 would be a good choice as well. Personally I wouldn't go for a lower protein percentage than 16% for female rats unless they become overweight or there is some other medical reason.

As with many other things, everyone is going to have different opinions as to their preferred diet and there is no one "right" answer. What really matters is that you find one that keeps your rats happy and healthy.

Toasty said:
I voted for HT 2018, but I suppose I am a bit biased. That is what I have been feeding all my rats for quite awhile now and have had very good results. I've had all ages, from babies to oldies and all they're staple diets were 2018 lab blocks. Pregnant mothers and babies were supplemented with extra foods high in protein, calories, and vitamins. Adults were given veggies, fruit (in moderation), and a variety of other healthy foods/treats. I free feed--I use hoppers attached to the cage. I have not had any issues with adults becoming overweight or with males developing skin issues which I have heard can happen if their diet is too high in protein.

Because Trihkal's rats are females and still pretty young I am going to assume they are pretty active and energetic and would do well on HT 2018. If she did not feel comfortable with 18%, then HT 2016 would be a good choice as well. Personally I wouldn't go for a lower protein percentage than 16% for female rats unless they become overweight or there is some other medical reason.

As with many other things, everyone is going to have different opinions as to their preferred diet and there is no one "right" answer. What really matters is that you find one that keeps your rats happy and healthy.

The risk with too much protein is not only weight gain, it's kidney disease. The optimal protein level for adult rats is about 10% (so even with HT 2014 or Oxbow you should be adding veggies to bring down the protein levels) , any more than that makes the kidneys work more than they're meant to break down the proteins. I've always fed Oxbow or HT 2014 and my energetic females (and my males) have not had any issues with energy level or maintaining a healthy body weight.

Thanks so much for your responses and/or vote. It's so important for me to give my girls the best care possible. A special thanks to Victoria because what you said made a lot of sense to me and I now know why Harlan 2014 is best for the girls rather than 2016 or 2018. Based on your opinions and a few other experienced rat owners I have decided it would be best to stick with Harlan 2014 which works out great because my boyfriend just bought a huge bag. Thanks again.

victoria said:
Toasty said:

The risk with too much protein is not only weight gain, it's kidney disease. The optimal protein level for adult rats is about 10% (so even with HT 2014 or Oxbow you should be adding veggies to bring down the protein levels) , any more than that makes the kidneys work more than they're meant to break down the proteins. I've always fed Oxbow or HT 2014 and my energetic females (and my males) have not had any issues with energy level or maintaining a healthy body weight.

And this is not based solely on opinion. It's based on a china study made for optimal rat health. I too have been doing this for years, on babies, adolescents, females and males with great results having a handful of rats live to 40+ months.

Back