Which is the best Martin's cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD_RatFanatic

So I am curious about the Martin's cages. I have mainly stayed away from them because they seem smaller visually to me since they are more vertical. I really like CNs but wanted to try all my options.

So for three boys, which Martins cage would be a good size? I dont want to spend more than $150.

In your experience, which Martin's cage do you like best?

Are there any customizations you can make to a Martins that I should get?

My ultimate goal for a cage is ease of cleaning and decorating, spaciousness for three rats, and durability. Which cage do you think would fit my needs best?

Three boys could fit in a R-695. The cage calculator says 3 rats could fit in the R-685 but for boys I like to subtract one from the cage calculator number, since they do get bigger and seem to be happier with more space. The R-690's base is a little small for my tastes, and again, cage calculator says it holds max 3. You want a base of around 18x30.

Make SURE you get powder-coated, not galvanized. Galvanized metal will soak up urine and the cage will STINK after a couple months.

Definitely get larger than standard doors, it'll make cleaning/decorating so much easier, as well as the flip-top.

So you're looking at roughly $130 before taxes and shipping.

For ease of cleaning and decorating, AND for spaciousness, you're MUCH better off getting a single CN. They're a BREEZE to clean/decorate since the whole front doors open right up.

I have to agree about the CN (Critter Nation). They are available in Canada now (yay!).

I looked into getting a Martin's cage a couple of years ago, but could only find them in the US. Not sure if there are any retailers in Canada for Martins. If getting from the U.S., you have to factor in the cost of shipping, plus duty and customs brokerage fees. Also, the powder coated is more expensive than the galvanized. By the time I was done figuring out the cost to get the cage to my front door, I would have to spend over $400. No way.

We ended up buying a parakeet cage and customizing it. This was before CN was available here. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the CN. Hands down. If you're lucky, you might even be able to find a used one on Kijiji or craigslist or ebay, but they do get snatched up quickly because of their quality and popularity.

edited to say "duh.....nevermind about my import cost stuff.......didn't notice you are in SoCal. Anyway, I'm leaving my post above as is, for any Canadians who might be looking for cages. I still stand behind my opinion that a CN beats out a Martins, so if you can get your hands on a CN, that would be the way to go for your 3 lads."

SD_RatFanatic is in Southern California, so getting a Martin's or a CN shouldn't be a problem :)

BUT I still think your better option is a half-CN.

I have a Kritter Koncept cage that's 48"x24"x36" (same as a CN/FN sideways) and I LOOOOVVEE it!
I haven't regret buying it whatsoever and I will be purchasing a smaller cage from them soon too.

it might not work for you, but it's worth looking into, specially since, like me, you seem to prefer a longer/larger floorspace versus a tall cage with a smaller footprint.

I am going to post links

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opt ... ,4066081.0
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opt ... ,4073470.0

and go to page 26 of "show your cage" thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1963&start=375

I also have tons of pics of it my website (signature)

xxchelle said:
BUT I still think your better option is a half-CN.

By a half CN, do you mean a single unit?

Also, are there any Martin's cages that are larger than the 695 but still suitable for rats--like maybe one originally for ferrets, etc. if I was to splurge?

Yeah, a half would be suitable for 3 boys. If you want the double go for it!

There's also the Martins R-699, the Ruud, which is bigger than the 695.

I have had both CN and Martins and I must say, CNs are the best because I really like the 36 x 24 footprint. But if Martins was the only thing available, then the 695 would make a great cage for 3.

Could also get an FN (as they seem to be a little bit cheaper than the CN) and boys do get big. :giggle:

I don't know if most people are aware of this, I know I wasn't, but Walmart actually carries both the critter nation and the ferret nation. I think you can get free shipping using thier "store to store" option.

I have a R-699 (biggest rat cage) and Ive converted it into a R-640 and a R-695 for my boys. Currently we have 3 boys in the roomy R695 and 4 boys in the cramped up R640 (not suitable for more than 2 rats = bad rat mommy). We are hoping to switch them with less stress as possible (original 3 had the 695 for ages, new group of 4 got stuck with the smaller one!).
Personally 3 boys would fit nicely in the R695... I am Canadian so I payed out the nose for these cages :( I believe it was about $2700+ for 6 of them.

But I have to say, personally.... CN is much much better and if you have boys, even a FN. I hope to replace my 699 with 2 CN's in the future. So for someone who's owned Martins cages in these 3 sizes over the last 6 years to say they rather a CN, you may be better off getting one over Martins Cages.

I have an R-695 and it's a great cage. I have extra large doors and the pull out pan. That size we can take to our shower and wash it down. It's not too big to do that but still a nice size for multiple rats.

LA brings up a very good point about washing down the cage.

Our converted parakeet cage currently gets a weekly hose down either outside during the warmer months, or in the shower during the winter when the outdoor water lines are unavailable.

For people who have CN's, how do you accomplish the hosing down of the cage? Or maybe you just do a more thorough manual cleaning and skip the hose downs? Personally I prefer the hose downs. A quick spray with cleaner and then a powerful spray with the hose and every nook and cranny is clean again. I guess each cage style has its benefits and drawbacks.

I have two R-690s from when I first got Martin's cages. I hate hate hate them. they are much too narrow :(

R-680s and R-695s are the best by far. size and layouts are the best. I'd say you could go with either one for 3 rats, depends on which layout you like better.

I do adore my RUUD though :D washing is a pain atm though. I can no longer get it down to the drive way for washing, so I've had to spot clean it until we figure out if it can fit in one of the bathtubs. that's the only bad thing about RUUDS in my opinion. the cleaning!

I've only had Martin's cages. First an R-690 that had two boys and then we upgraded to the R-695 and usually have 4 boys in there. I like them. I can put it in the tub to scrub it down really well and the large doors are now standard, and they're plenty big.

As other people have said, make sure to get powder/PVC coating. Also, instead of using the c-rings that are given, using zip ties works great, MUCH easier to take apart if need be and easier to set up.

I actually detached the ladders in mine and replaced them with bird ladders so they're easily removed and washed. Sometimes it's hard to cover ladders and they get neglected if they're permanently attached.

I use fleece liners over cut-to-fit Plexiglas pieces for the flooring, very easy. Also there are plenty of places to hang hammocks and create cool little hideaways.

I've had both Martins cages and a double CN. I personally find the Martins to be much better. To the OP, the footprint is bigger than you'd think, and most rats rather enjoy climbing and having more levels. Despite being slightly smaller, the Martins 695 has far more floorspace than a single CN. Another consideration is what you will use for bedding. If you like liners then you can use a CN but if you like bedding then that is out unless you spend 65 on bass pans.

My biggest gripe with the CN was cleaning. Spot cleaning is easy, but thorough cleaning is not as much. They do not fit in the shower unless you disassemble it which is a PITA. They have no tools construction, so unless you have a perfectly level entrance/exit to your house with no drop or stairs, it would require you to lift the 100 pound cage and lifting it causes it to come undone. You DO need to either hose it off of disassemble it and clean it in the shower however, as where the frame comes together there is a teensy gap that pee gets gunked up in and it cannot come out without water pressure and scrubbing if you do not take the cage apart, meaning anyone who can't easily hose this thing off is going to have a heck of a time getting it fully clean.

Anyway as to the martins cage you find best, I like the 699 or RUDD because of all the space it offers. For three though, the 695 would be fine. Since you don't seem to like the floorspace though, they have ferret cages with larger floorspace. Only things are: you'd have to either get PVC coated and hope they don't chew, or custom order it powdercoated which costs an additional 10 percent since its a custom job, and the larger footprint cages only come with slideout pans, which I personally dislike. Definately check out their ferret cages though. Had I not found the 695 I found used, which meant I only had to buy a 680 to combine them into the RUDD, I would have gone with their ferret cages ( the ferret condo most likely.) Good luck choosing a cage!!

ETA: Someone mentioned their doors being small, they actually fixed that problem and their doors are huge now, so a flip top lid is no longer needed. They just seem to really suck about updating their pictures lol.

I had a martins cage, now I have a double FN!

Upgrading to the double FN was the best choice I have ever made.
Martins cages are a pain to clean, and take much more time that and CN or FN.

puffnstuff said:
LA brings up a very good point about washing down the cage.

Our converted parakeet cage currently gets a weekly hose down either outside during the warmer months, or in the shower during the winter when the outdoor water lines are unavailable.

For people who have CN's, how do you accomplish the hosing down of the cage? Or maybe you just do a more thorough manual cleaning and skip the hose downs? Personally I prefer the hose downs. A quick spray with cleaner and then a powerful spray with the hose and every nook and cranny is clean again. I guess each cage style has its benefits and drawbacks.

I haven't found that the CNs need the hose downs the way wire cages do as they're just so much easier to clean. That said, I do like to occasionally completely take apart my CN and hose off each piece individually.. So far I have done this about every 6 months. It comes apart and goes back together so easily that it's really not that big a deal to do.

GAH! The cage decision is a killer. The original trio I was planning to adopt acquired a fourth ratty. Then my dad lost his job last week (he was laid off), so our plans to adopt the four are on hold until he finds a new job.

In the meantime, I really need to figure out which cage I will be buying. I really loved the look of the Martins 695, but a bunch of you here are strongly encouraging the CN and now I like the CN. :p I have heard that the CN is hard to clean, especially in all the nooks and crannies. Can anyone tell me their cleaning regimen?

Also, can someone persuade me to go either way? I cannot make the decision myself.

Considering there will be four boys in the cage, which do you think best to provide plenty of space and ease of cleaning and decoration? My main options are a double CN (but I think that might be TOO huge), a single CN (but that seems on the small side), or a Martins 695 (which seems too constricting and small). HELP!

Back