Which fish oil is best?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Hi all, I have a 34-month old boy who is currently on metacam and glucosamine for HED/arthritis and I know that fish oil is supposed to be good for them, especially as my boy is starting to lose some girth (though at this point it's not too critical as he's almost 500g, was 560 in his younger days). I am still keeping an eye on him though, because I don't want him to get too skinny. He's started eating more again... he just lost his twin brother so he's suffering a bit of depression... we've gotten him a companion though, and since we've noticed a slight change, I hope he's happier now...

Anyhoo, I've been wanting to see if adding oil to his diet would help. I went to look in the vitamin section for some fish oil to give him and to be honest I didn't come away with anything... there was too many to choose from... salmon oil, omega-3, cod liver oil, etc. Anyone able to tell me their opinion and the benefits of each? Keeping that in mind, what's best for my boy?

I just noticed this thread never go answered. I'm sorry for that. I can't give you any advice, each time I tried giving my rats extra amino acids, one or two of them seemed to get dermal irritations.
Have you tried doing a search on glucosamine? I'm sure it was discussed before with the fish oils.

Didn't see this thread until this morning.

I have had a discussion with Victoria regarding fish oil, and she recommended O3mega (you can get some info here: http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=872)

She likes it because this is the only brand that she really trusts to be really cleaned (sorry, can't figure out the right expression in English - Friday morning before coffee...), i.e. ridden of all that nasty stuff that might be harmful to our kids. I also comes in liquid, the one that I found was orange flavored.

Hope this helps, despite the really bad English this morning..

Back