which blocks do your rats prefer?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscychopomp

Mine get Extrusion and last week I found Mazuri and Regal Rat, so I got both to see what they like most. Every morning when I fill up their dishes, the Mazuri is always left over, they don't seem to eat it until there's nothing else, Extrusion still being their first choice. I don't know if it's because they're used to it, or it tastes better. Now I just need to try Harlan.

My guys go nuts for the extrusion stuff, but they hate the pellets from Living world that I tried.

Mine go straight for the Regal Rat, out of Extrusion and Regal. I mixed them too and the next morning all the regal was gone and they would not touch extrusion anymore.

If you got the Mazuri from a pet store like petsmart, then it's the very high protein one.

Mine love their Oxbow and their HT...not too fond of the Extrusion.

Can you tell which one Luther likes most?

extrusion.jpg

and I checked the food dish, he took all the Extrusion that was left lol. I guess he made a stash for when it's just the icky Mazuri left :giggle:

pscychopomp said:
I got it from the store lilspaz posted about, and yeah I noticed it says 23% protein, there's a different one?

Yes, once I hear from Marilyn, we will be splitting up a Mazuri 6F into smaller amounts as they come in 50 lb bags. This will only be 16% protein and is what I normally use. My rats LOVE the Harlan Teklad 2014 best, 2018 next and then Mazuri 6F.

When I first got my 2 boys I ordered them a bag of ht but then I was worried it wouldn't come in time so I bought a bag of oxbow (which was the only block in any local pet store) and for some reason opened it up. The ht came in time too, so I offered them both. They never touched the oxbow. I'm not sure which block Ben had before, but I was mixing ht with his former food that Ewa had given me so he could get used to what I had. He left his old blocks in the bowl. I'm sure other blocks are good, but in my (limited lol) experience ratties love ht.

I have fed HT and my rats would eat it, I currently feed the F6 and they do fine on it and I can get it at my feed store.

HT seems to be the hands down favourite in the rat world.

I find my rats sort of go off and on the Oxbow but I like to keep it available. If I don't offer it for a while and then offer it again they go nuts for it for a couple of days.

I've not found Mazuri to go over as well, but it certainly still gets eaten.. though if it is offered alongside Oxbow the Oxbow will get eaten first. And I haven't fed the Extrusion in a long time but it seemed well loved.

My girls don't seem to mind the Extrusion, but not fond of the Oxbow at all. theyhave to be starving to eat it now, and even when I mush it up with some tasy baby foods they will not eat it...so Extrusion it is...

Mine hate Oxbow Ragal Rat, they would go two weeks without eating. I now use Extrusion & they love it!

Back