When To Add Babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey guys!

I've been thinking. My original plan was that after Marty and MBob go to Phyllis on Sunday (this weekend), the other two boys will go in with the big boys into the freezer cage.

But.

Tip is going in for a neuter Tuesday (of next week). I found out HE is the one picking on Denny and Rubin... And well, no more! He is going in first, and if all goes according to plan, Andi will be next.

Anyway! So when would be a better time to add the baby boys? After his neuter, introing them at the same time as "un-goolied" Tip? Or while he's recuperating by himself?

How old are the babies now?
If you can hold off, the best thing would be to do intros after the neuters are done, before anyone moving into the new cage.

Babies will be... Oh crap! Seven weeks next Monday.

I'll hold off and do them all at the same time. It will be interesting, for sure.

Should I wait until Andi is done too? But that won't be until after Thanksgiving, at least. Hmm...

Ideally yes but if you don't think Andi is a big problem then you can go ahead and intro them.
Why do you want Andi done too? He's a problem child? Sometimes when the real bully is done, the others settle right down. And the addition of new rats can also make either less or more of a bully.

They both seem to work in a team, but it is mostly Tip. I had planned to wait it out after Tip, so I can see how A) The vet did and B) The rats got along after. And if there are still issues, then I know Andi needs it as well.

Back