When should I introduce solids to the babies, and what?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuke99

So Momma's litter will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I've noticed they've started picking up things and testing out their taste. Should I do anything special to introduce solids.

Momma gets baby cereal mixed with soy milk every other day...should this be ok for the babies to start with? Or should I soak some lab blocks in water?

Any input is mush appreciated.

Thank you,

For the babies here (who are the same age as yours).

I give Mielle some baby food mix everynight and lab blocks in the morn, and the babies will nibble at whatever Mom gets.
If you keep that up, the babies will eventually eat solids on their own. That's what happened with Litter C and their all big and strong.

Well, they LOVE the baby cereal. I made it a bit more liquidy for the babes. Poor Runty got dunked when his brothers clammered on top of him! Luckily everyone joined in to clean him off!

Nobody is really eating the hard stuff yet though. Momma has lab blocks and Martins' Rodent Ration (for the higher protein) available all day. But everyone is healthy and active so I figure they'll start when they're ready.

Back