When it's time.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic xx

Alright, so this has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while now. I have this little man named Elk - Elk's the one at the bottom in my icon - and he's not doing so well. He's at least a year and a half old now, he's hip bones and backbone is showing even though he used to eat like a pig - he really slowed down the eating in the past few months. Well, I was just wondering what to expect with an old rat - this hasn't exactly been my first rat pairing, but they never lived this long. I'm also wondering when or if I should get a retirement cage for him considering he's old and his brother, Moose, likes to boss him around and steal his food.

I might just be worrying too much, but Elk never used to act this way and I'm kind of afraid of what will come next. :sad3:

Edit: Hold on, so I adopted them on February 9th of 2008, yet someone on here told me they looked to be five months. So, they would have been born sometime in October of 2007 which would mean that they're twenty six, or so, months old - if I'm correct, that is.

Have you taken him to a vet? At 18 months he could just be sick and needing meds. I would not separate him from his brother. The stress alone can make him worse. Good luck with your sweetie.

No, he hasn't seen a vet yet. But, I did find an exotic vet in my area, so I'll probably give them a call and see how much a check up is. Since I live with my parents, money is in a bind, right now. But, I'll give the vet a call anyway.

And just out of curiosity, how much would the usual check up cost?

Thanks for answering!

Prices at different vets and in different areas can vary CONSIDERABLY!
Your best bet is to call the clinic in question and just ask......

Back